Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Wifi connection drops but LAN connection is fine

A strange one.

I have both WiFi and LAN connections to my HH3 for different computers

The LAN connection is always fine - good speed, no drop-outs, etc

The WiFi connection however is a nightmare.  It works for a few hours and then the computer drops the internet connection.

It is not the WiFi connection to the HH3 as I can still get to the HH3 web page but any internet address gets a "DNS not found" error.

In this state, the LAN connection still works fine.  I can browse the Internet fine just not from a WiFi connection.

The only solution is to reset the HH3 fully (a disconnect/reconnect of the internet connection doesn't help)

Any ideas?

Chris

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Wifi connection drops but LAN connection is fine

@ticklos wrote:

A strange one.

I have both WiFi and LAN connections to my HH3 for different computers

The LAN connection is always fine - good speed, no drop-outs, etc

The WiFi connection however is a nightmare.  It works for a few hours and then the computer drops the internet connection.

It is not the WiFi connection to the HH3 as I can still get to the HH3 web page but any internet address gets a "DNS not found" error.

In this state, the LAN connection still works fine.  I can browse the Internet fine just not from a WiFi connection.

The only solution is to reset the HH3 fully (a disconnect/reconnect of the internet connection doesn't help)

Any ideas?

Chris

Hi there,

It sounds like you need to change the wireless channel on your HH3.

If you're on Windows then you're going to need inssider 2 or if you're using a Mac, then you'll need to download istumbler

Download whichever one of those is appropriate to your OS and do a scan for wireless networks close to you and you will be able to see which networks are operating on which channels and change to a less congested channel, if need be 🙂

I hope this info helps 😄

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 3 of 5

I would also check for driver updates, do not trust Microsoft update to give you the most recent ones!

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

I have same problem with my HH2. Wifi will die whilst streaming bbc iplayer I have to restart the hub to get it working again. I believe loads of people have this problem with the wifi, Im thinking about scrapping the bt hub for a 3rd party router.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I did the SSID check and noticed something strange.  

I had BT FON enabled which was broadcasting (as BT FON and BT OpenZone) on channel 11

My private connection was on channel 6

Channel 11 was also being used by a neighbour - but I always connected to the private connection so that shouldn't have mattered.

I have now disabled BT FON so I will just have the one SSID connection.  In the HH3 advertising blurb, it makes a big deal about searching for free channels so you don't get interference!  

Chris

0 Ratings