Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anubis10
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Wifi extender vs NEW BT Smart Hub

Hi,

Our household is currently on BT Infinity 2 ,  we have trouble connecting WIRELESSLY in the back of the house and the signal drops in and out in the upstairs bedrooms.

Phoned up last week to query if there is anything we could get to improve this , and they sent us a FOC powerline passthrough device , tried explaining that this wouldn't be anygood in the rooms as devices that need internet would not have ethernet connections ie IPAD's and phones, but they have sent one through anyway.

Ive now done some research myself and have seen both the New BT Smart Hub and BT 11ac Dual-Band Wi-Fi extender 1200, around about the same price (dont think I can get either FOC).  So I was looking at getting either of these , which one would be more beneficial to purchase?  Or any other alternative solutions available to me?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Wifi extender vs NEW BT Smart Hub

Do not under any circumstances consider buying a Home hub as a wireless extender. The powerline devices are wifi as well as wired.  http://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/connected-home/home-hotspots/

0 Ratings
Anubis10
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Was just going to replace my home hub 5 with this and see if the signal would be strong enough to reach the other parts of the house.  Was thinking of plugging the BT WIFI EXTENDER in the middle of the house.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

You would be wasting your money, if the wifi is poor with the HH5, it will be poor with the smart hub.

0 Ratings
Anubis10
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

Thanks 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Your 2 realistic options are a wireless access point connected via Ethernet to the hub or (effectively the same thing using mains wiring to extend the ethernet) powerline adaptors. I have a pair of the mini hotspot 500 (predecessor to the 600) and they work fine for me.

0 Ratings
Anubis10
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Wifi extenders are not the best option, speed is halved for one thing and it relies on being optimally placed between the wifi source and where the wifi is required. Which powerline adaptor were you sent, it should have wifi capability.

0 Ratings
Anubis10
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

They sent me BT extender flex 500 FOC , I tried to explain I couldn't use this with Wifi devices upstairs , and it wasnt until after it was sent out that they confirmed it was ethernet only.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Unfortunately so. You could always plug a cheap WAP into it though. The TP-LINK TL-WA801ND 300Mbps Wireless N Access Point is about £25 from Amazon.

0 Ratings