cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Wifi speed

I am thinking of moving to BT infinity and wanted to know what sort of wifi speeds members are experiencing. My setup is such that I will almost definitely connect via wifi rather than Ethernet. I know it will be slower but that is the route I will be taking. Speed quoted is 52Mb but that would obviously rate to an Ethernet connection. My wifi card is 300 M b so is the fastest a available so I would expect to obtain the fastest possible speed. So can any members tell me what their Ethernet connection speed is and how their wifi speed compares to it, just to give me some idea of what I am likely to lose. Thanks
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Wifi speed

Not a question that can be answered as there are too many variables that can effect wireless speeds.

Providing there are no local causes of interference then you should be able to reach similar speeds to an ethernet connection.

No wireless connection is guaranteed though.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 8

rgh999,

My wired speed is 77/18Mb, Wireless speed on my Ipad2, Tab10.1 and S2 phone are around the 36/20Mb range, Why it show's my up speed in test's as higher that my wired I have no idea, in fact sometimes it comes back as 24Mb on all 3 devices. hope this may be of help to you

iechyd da

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 8

Hi to give you some idea i'm on infinity 2 and the fiber cabinet is right outside my house.  My wired speed is 76/16 almost 100% of the time. The wireless speed on my laptop is 45/16 at best but usually around 38-40 down and 13 up.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Pretty much the same as Balla.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Yep pretty much same as Balla too for me. If its an option that might work for you I'd consider using powerline adapters. I have a couple of 500Mbps Solwise adapters and I get the full 76/16 through them.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

all i use is wireless on my laptop but as mentioned speeds do vary . i have a n adapter in my laptop so can get upto 144mbs connection speed my ip profile is 52 odd and normally get around 50 on the speedtester wirelessly but has been as low as 30 odd wirelessly. still beats 5 meg on normal broadband hehe ! 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

I'm on Infinity 1 (40/10 max), actual speeds averaging 38/8. My wireless laptop achieves similar speeds to my ethernet connected desktop. In fact my more modern laptop feels faster than my creaky old (but dependable) desk top. I've only been an Infinity customer for a week, but so far so good. 

0 Ratings