cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brookheather
Expert
Message 1 of 18

Will I be charged for BT Sport?

I renewed my BT Infinity 2 package in March and it included free BT Sport - this appears as a £13.50 charge with a £13.50 discount:

BT Sport Pack

£13.50

Get the best BT Sport deal with BT Broadband

BT Sport Pack Discount

£-13.50

For BT Broadband customers

In my activation e-mail it states:

About your BT Sport discount

You'll carry on getting a discount on your BT Sport Pack as long as you've got BT Broadband.

So why have I received an e-mail saying I will be charged £5 from 1st August?  Does this apply to me as I am already paying for BT Sport and have it fully discounted?  The email states:

If you do nothing, your BT Sport Pack will cost £5 a month from 1 August 2015. But you can get it for free simply by renewing your BT TV and BT Broadband contract for 18 months.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 18

Re: Will I be charged for BT Sport?

It's because they have just decided to make BT Sport more expensive by £5/month from August.

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 18

You may have to renew your contract again for 18 months to get the free sport. Unfortunately it's how companies can guarantee income.

Do you get BT TV (I am presuming you do as you are posting in the TV section of the forum). In which case you will need to re-contract both your Infinity and BT TV subscription. For that you would get all the sports channels including the new BT Sport Europe channel free.

You can opt for BT Sport lite which would just give you BT Sport1 and you would only need to re-contract your Infinity for that.

Or you can opt out of sport without the need to re-contract but seeing as you have only just re-contracted that would seem a bit pointless.

Or leave everything as it is and pay £5 month from August to get all the sports channels...

0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 4 of 18

So far I have hard nothing from BT and im also wondering if I will be charged for BT sport. I renewed my BT TV package for 12 months back at the end of April when  I upgraded to there entertanmet max package.

Before that I was only a about 5 weeks or so in to a new 12 months Infinity 2 contect that was not renewed at the same time as I had not long renewed it and broadband was never talked about.

Im due a quarterly paperless bill from BT for all my packages in the next 3 weeks or so.

I pay towards the BT bill almost every week using there BT payment card.

Darren

0 Ratings
brookheather
Expert
Message 5 of 18

Thanks for the replies - I called BT and I was going to be charged from 1st August for BT Sport - the CS rep offered free BT Sport Lite but I decided to cancel instead.

0 Ratings
derek918
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 18

Hi, just received my qtrly bill dated 17 June - 16 Sept, NO mention of increase to BT Sport from Aug 1st....

BT Sport

BT Sport Pack 17 Jun-16 Sep 15 £ 0.00

This is made up of:

BT Sport Pack £ 40.50

This is the cost of your BT Sport at £13.50 a month, charged in advance

from 17 Jun 2015 to 16 Sep 2015

Credit: BT Sport Pack discount - £ 40.50 17 Jun-16 Sep 15

BT TV and broadband loyalty discount

I expected to see I had been opted in but nothing different for me. Not had any email notifications either.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 18

Do you have any form of BT TV? If not then you could well be billed in arrears for the period from 1st August onward on your next bill.
0 Ratings
shopps
Contributor
Message 8 of 18

I don't have BT TV but I do have BT sport included as I watch this through an app on my phone or iPad.

I also got the email saying 'do nothing & your bill will go up by £5 per month'.

It seems anyone watching BT sports either on BT TV or app will be charged an extra £5 unless they 'downgrade' to the lite package (BT sports 1 only) or cancel altogether.

I guess that now BT have had about 2 years of 'free' sport as a taster they are now charging all customers who have selected the free option when renewing.

Thank but no thanks.

0 Ratings
derek918
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 18

@Colin_London, Hi, yes I have the BT TV Entertainment package; I don't mind paying a fiver per month for sport/football as I think that is unbeatable value it's just the way BT have gone about promoting "free" sport without mentioning taking up a new contract, for such a massive company it all seems a bit sly to me, anyway at the moment I shall await the email.

0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 10 of 18

Will see what my BT quarterly bill says when its due.

Second week of July I think my BT bill is due to be emailed to me.

I so far have still not had any emails or letters from BT about BT sport.

Darren

0 Ratings