cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cj63
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Will a static IP addres solve my BT Infinity connection issues?

Go to solution

Hi.  After 4 months of repeated BT help calls amd two engineer visits I have been left with a choice of a BT Infinity connection that has a maximum speed of 11mB and drops up to 5 times a day or a copper connection that seems more stable but has a maximum speed of 2mB.  These are the choices offered by BT (or moving to another provider) as they tell me that the Infinity conenction is subject to more drop outs when more people log onto the line but when I asked if changing to a business account to get a fixed IP address would be another solution they told me no-one could answer that question.  So, does anyone know or would it be trial and see?  Thanks.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Will a static IP addres solve my BT Infinity connection issues?

Go to solution

The number of people connected, should not affect dropouts. A static public IP address would not make any difference.

Dropouts that are not related to the line, can usually be cured by using a better VDSL router, assuming you have a HH5 at the moment.

0 Ratings
cj63
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Will a static IP addres solve my BT Infinity connection issues?

Go to solution

Hi and thanks for the response.

I suspected as much but the engineer tested my HH5 and reported no problems.   When I get the line dropout, the hub stays blue which does seem at odds with it being OK.  We are some distance from the cabinet (about 1km) and the box on the pole (250m) but all the lines are upgraded heavy duty copper as they run through trees although we're not really 'rural' being on a Poole/Bournemouth exchange.

BT just seem to want to give up on the problem despite them approaching me with the offer of BT Infinity at a minimum line speed of 13mB!

0 Ratings