cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Will copper cabling being robbed and replace affect my bb speed?

Hey guys I a bit of a noob here but here we go.

We've have the copper cabling outside our house robbed two times in the past 2 months. We didn't have the greatest speeds before but will this issue affect my line much.

Currently this is where I'm sitting.

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 3:10:21
Downstream4,800 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)8.1 dB / 22.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)47.0 dB / 28.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)19.5 dBm / 11.9 dBm

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1402025821.png

My current phone exchange is in Harston, Cambridge and I live in Foxton, Cambridge.

Didn't know wether BT could improve my line or BB in anyway, such as I play online games and would like low latency as possible.

Will fastpath affect my line or make a difference.

Cheers, Nick

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Expert
Message 2 of 23

Re: Will copper cabling being robbed and replace affect my bb speed?

Your connection speed is not bad, the max you could expect from your attenuation is 5.5mbps, once your line has been connected for a while it may rise and the amount of interleaving should automatically fall making you latency better. Switching your latency to fast is possible and could help get your ping down, but i wouldn’t say it’s terrible as it is. The exchange automatically controls latency though so while you can ask for it to be changed, if you have any more problems it’s likely to switch back to interleaved. Generally switching to fast doesn’t have much impact on your speeds. If you really want to switch then put in a request, but at your line length you current latency is not that bad and should improve on its own if your line is stable.

Ask here to be switched to fast http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 23

Thank you for such a fast reply and i will look into it.

cheers Nick

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 23

To be honest, if your cable has been nicked twice I wouldn't be surprised if BT have put some pretty cheap quality cable in so that if it gets nicked again its not such of a loss. You were probably on some good quality .9 but now on some okish quality .5.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 23

-------------------------------------------------------------
@gouledw wrote:
To be honest, if your cable has been nicked twice I wouldn't be surprised if BT have put some pretty cheap quality cable in so that if it gets nicked again its not such of a loss. You were probably on some good quality .9 but now on some okish quality .5.

Now that i can't believe!!! Why bother buying in some cheap quality cable to avoid the occasional loss. Any loss does not come out of their pockets or profits.

Any loss whatsoever to any company is reflected in the charges they make to their customer. In this case the END customer is always YOU.Smiley Wink

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 23

**bleep** ;), well I'm only saying what happened around us, they got some poor quality copper and on my 9km line it didn't go down well! They replaced with some .9 and we're happy days :D, they've put some of that new smart paint I think? on it.
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 23

I feel its only a matter of time where I live before it happens, as man hole covers are disappearing on regular occurrence, its bleeding irresponsible too, as I almost found out to my cost. 

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 23

Looks like you might have to careful, they might be replacing them with plastic covers soonSmiley Very Happy

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 23

Yes I can see them all now, it goes along the lines  like-

" The copper gone from the poles Dear Ian",

" Then fix it Dear openreach, fix it" etc...Smiley Wink

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
Expert
Message 10 of 23

It may be slightly contentious to decribe a cable replacement as being poor quality but it is an absolute fact that BT is know to replace cable with a smaller conductor and this can dramatically effect broadband, a good few years back they replace a section of 0.6 (underground) here with 0.5 cable and totally lost be broadband for a while until another part of my line was switched to a new section of 0.9 instead. The excused I was given at the time that the 0.6 cable was too heavy for the engineers to carry across a field to the area that the work was needing done !!

Quality is not the issue, conductor size is and can make a suprrising difference, for example  my line is 8.5k long and 320 metres of it was switched betwen 0.5 and 0.9 (overhead) recently, this (if it was not for other issues) increased my speed by around .25mbs (perhaps a little more).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings