cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bazzer9
Contributor
Message 11 of 17

Re: Will my BT mail account be closed if I cancel my BT broadband account ?

Go to solution

Thanks IanC. Your faith in BT is touching but I think I'll take my chances with the freebies. If Gmail should close down without adequate notice or withdrawal plan there would be an almighty uproar worldwide. Could the same be said of BT mail with it's much smaller customer base ?  

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 17

Go to solution

And the uproar would achieve what?

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 17

Go to solution

Since I joined BT in 2012 I have always had emails redirected to my hotmail account and don't use the BT one -currently Yahoo  since I have a "normal" Yahoo account set up as its features were superior to those of BT especially when they decided to change.

0 Ratings
Gerry_Atrick
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 17

Go to solution

Do you mean email addressed to your BT email address is automatically redirected to your Hotmail account Conrad?   If so doesn't that mean you are in fact "using" your BT email account  - if only for the forwarding of email?

Gerry

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 17

Go to solution

There can be subtle differences between the totally free email services and those that come bundled with ISP's.

For example a couple of years ago some news article links started getting inserted into some mails sent from BTYahoo Mail customers. I know because it happened to me and I raised a thread about it in these forums. The Yahoo Mail web pages stated that they were perfectly within their rights to do this for those using the free service. If you didn't want this type of content included then you could pay for the premium Yahoo Mail service. BT had not agreed to Yahoo changing email content in any way and swiftly told them to stop it at once for BTYahoo Mail customers. It stopped. Smiley Happy  So you make your own choice, but there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Personally I would like to see some sort of non ISP specific email address that we could all transfer between providers just like a telephone number. The providers could still include the cost of supporting it in their package costs, but the domain would be applicable across all providers. Any ideas for an ISP independent domain name? How about Talk21.com ? Smiley LOL

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 17

Go to solution

Why not just get your own domain and email service?

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 17

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

Why not just get your own domain and email service?

Because I'd be paying twice. Once for the BT (or Sky or Virgin or TalkTalk) email service that I wouldn't be using and once for the other email service I'd arranged separately.

Plus I don't want the hassle of setting it up and paying for it separately. I want BT, Sky, Virgin, TalkTalk, etc to support it along with the phone line, broadband and TV. Just make the email address easily transferable like a landline number or mobile number.

0 Ratings