cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Will my BT mail account be closed if I cancel my BT broadband account ?

Go to solution

If so, why should I bother with BT mail and not just use a regular Yahoo, Hotmail or Gmail account instead because they are independent of whichever ISP I'm with and can be accessed anywhere ?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Will my BT mail account be closed if I cancel my BT broadband account ?

Go to solution

@bazzer9 wrote:

Yes, unless you pay to keep it as Premium Mail

If so, why should I bother with BT mail and not just use a regular Yahoo, Hotmail or Gmail account instead because they are independent of whichever ISP I'm with and can be accessed anywhere ?

Well spotted.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks Licquorice,

Another example of tricky dicky BT not being transparent with it's customers ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution
"Another example of tricky dicky BT not being transparent with it's customers ?"

BT don't tell you that you will lose your internet connection if you cancel your broadband too.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

They do tell you that it will stop, see link.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13140

Why do you think you would/should be able to keep it if you are no longer a customer? If you are going to change ISP every years or so,the best option is to use gmail, Yahoo etc

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution
@gg30340 wrote:

They do tell you that it will stop, see link.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13140

Actually - being pedantic - they say that if you don't use it for 30/90 days, they may stop it...which suggests that they also may not...

Which also implies, to me, that if you do continue to use it at least every 30/90 days, then it won't be discontinued.

Why do you think you would/should be able to keep it if you are no longer a customer? If you are going to change ISP every years or so,the best option is to use gmail, Yahoo etc

Indeed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution
I don't change ISP every year but it's unlikely I'll stay with BT for ever and a day -- will you ?
When I do change I wouldn't want the hassle of changing my email address and account also.

Considering that Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail et al are free and independent of ISP what is it about BT mail that is worth paying for ?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution
What's that got to do with the price of bread ?
StewM -- some expert !
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

My understanding is that BT offers customers a "package" that includes Broadband with certain levels of download speed, data allowance, email addresses, telphone line etc etc (and I am sure other ISPs do the same).  So if you decide to leave BT it stands to reason you are giving up the package not just access to selected parts of the deal.  As with all ISPs the terms and conditions are available before you sign up, and indeed you can get in touch with BT in a variety of ways to ask questions and satisfy yourself that you will be getting the service(s) you need, before you commit yoiurself to the contract    I don't think BT can justifiably be referred to as "trick dicky" in this respect.  After all is said and done (indeed before anything is said or done) there is a very well established principle in law (caveat emptor) that roughly translated means "buyer beware" - in other words do your homework before buying. 

Gerry

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

@bazzer9 wrote:

Considering that Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail et al are free and independent of ISP what is it about BT mail that is worth paying for ?

I obviously can't speak for others, but I wouldn't personally put any long-term faith in an email (or any other) service that's being provided for free on a "best efforts" basis. At least with a proper paid-for service you have a binding contract, and an obligation on the part of the provider to supply the service.

It may seem unlikely at this moment in time, but Gmail, Yahoo et al could conceivably shut down their freebie email services tomorrow, leaving all those dependant on them for their mail high and dry, and with no grounds for complaint whatsoever.

0 Ratings