cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scanpete
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Will removing macafee av & installing avg av make my old laptop faster?

Go to solution

I bought my laptop in 2008 with windows vista,2gb of memory & 160gb hdd.If I uninstall the macafee supplied by Bt in my contract & install a free AV such as AVG or AVAST will this speed it up? If I try this do I have to inform BT & can I later re-install the macagfee supplied by BT if it makes no difference?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Will removing macafee av & installing avg av make my old laptop faster?

Go to solution

Firstly you don't have to advise BT about such changes.

Secondly , it's hard to say what the effect of installing a different AV would be. Both those alternatives you've mentioned are fairly light on the system I believe and possibly better in that respect than Macafee.

I use Comodo as a combined AV & firefwall and it's not overly intrusive.

Try a change & see the effect but bear in mind that a 7 year old laptop isn't going to be very quick anyway.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

My advice and that of others on the forum would be to uninstall BTNetprotect. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog. Do a search of the forum to see the problems. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free and AVG Free.

If you do want to uninstall BTNetprotect use this guide and make sure you use the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523

If your laptop is just "slow" rather than it being the Internet that is slow you may find that it is something else that is causing the slow down. There are many things that could be causing it and it would depend on how able you are at changing and using software on your computer in order to try and resolve the problem. If you want to spend money and possibly upgrade the memory etc on the computer.

0 Ratings
scanpete
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks guys for info.I can afford a more up to date laptop but I want to persevere with this one!It,s slow beacause of age but that allows me to experiment with things I pick up from mags & books in order to try & de-clutter/speed it up.I,m not too good at it though!I,ve been with Bt for ever & although they are extremely exasperating & innefficient I,m going to stick with them.

0 Ratings