cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
himore
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Will upstream speed ever get better than 1Mbps?

Hi.

We've recently moved house to somewhere a bit more rural, and I'm going through an adjustment period of going from 55Mbps/15Mbps download/upload, to something in the region of 18Mbps/1Mbps.

The phone & Infinity 1 service was only connected 3 days ago, and I appreciate that it takes around 10 days or so for the broadband to settle.

I can get used to the drop in download speed, as 20Mbps is still good enough for what we need, but it's the 1Mbps upload which is proving to be a pain, as I do work from home quite a lot.

To be fair to BT, both d/l and u/l speeds are currently within the ranges they quoted, and alternatives such as satellite or our local wireless provider (W3Z) still only offer a 1Mbps upload.

I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to improve the upload speed, or if this is a technical limitation due to distance from cabinet, exchange, etc...?

I've attached some test readings I took from the BT speed tester.

performance test.jpg

ADSL check.jpg

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Will upstream speed ever get better than 1Mbps?

Can you post the hub stats?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
himore
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Are these the stats you mean?

BT_Home_Hub_Manager_-_Information_for_Helpdesk_agents.jpg

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Yeah great thanks.

Your upload is actually a little lower than should be expected, however the problem you’ll have is getting an engineer out to look at it, as there’s no guarantee of upload speeds.

Have you tried connecting to the test socket which is located behind the faceplate of the master socket?

You may also find using a modem/router which has a broadcom chipset may yield better connection speeds.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
himore
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Cheers Webby.

I haven't tried going directly to the test socket yet. Will give it a go later.

I've already asked if I can get one of the new BT Smart Hubs, and I believe they use a Broadcom chipset.

I might have to look into a mobile wifi solution to augment my BT service, for when I'm working from home and need a better upload speed.

0 Ratings