Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jabiru
Beginner
Message 1 of 20

Windows 10 and Outlook email

Go to solution

I have Outlook (Office 365) running on a windows 8.1 PC. I use a BTinternet account on IMAP. I upgraded to Windows 10.

Upgrade was successful except that I found that I progressively lost the ability to send emails. First of all most would get sent then they all got stuck in the Outbox and nothing would get sent. I tested the account settings and to my surpise I could successfully send a Microsoft Test message. I tried to forward that message to another account the message stuck and Error 8000CCC?? displayed. The account would work perfectly on another PC running Windows 7.1 with identical settings.

I tried reinstalling Office but no improvement.

Eventually I gave up and used the facility in windows 10 to revert the PC to Windows 8.1. This was straight-forward but only available for the first month after install of Win 10. As soon as Windows 8.1 was up and running my email worked without a single glitch. All sent emails transmitted immediately.

A cautionary tale as it wasted almost a whole afternoon. Incidentally BT Desktop help is not compatable with Windows 10.

If anyone knows what the problem is I would be interested otherwise I think I will avoid Win 10 until a few more moths have passed and the bugs have been tackled.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
PinkSquirrel
Contributor
Message 2 of 20

Re: Windows 10 and Outlook email

Go to solution

@Jabiru wrote:

I have Outlook (Office 365) running on a windows 8.1 PC. I use a BTinternet account on IMAP. I upgraded to Windows 10.

Upgrade was successful except that I found that I progressively lost the ability to send emails. First of all most would get sent then they all got stuck in the Outbox and nothing would get sent. I tested the account settings and to my surpise I could successfully send a Microsoft Test message. I tried to forward that message to another account the message stuck and Error 8000CCC?? displayed. The account would work perfectly on another PC running Windows 7.1 with identical settings.

I tried reinstalling Office but no improvement.

Eventually I gave up and used the facility in windows 10 to revert the PC to Windows 8.1. This was straight-forward but only available for the first month after install of Win 10. As soon as Windows 8.1 was up and running my email worked without a single glitch. All sent emails transmitted immediately.

A cautionary tale as it wasted almost a whole afternoon. Incidentally BT Desktop help is not compatable with Windows 10.

If anyone knows what the problem is I would be interested otherwise I think I will avoid Win 10 until a few more moths have passed and the bugs have been tackled.

This seems to be quite a common problem after upgrading to Windows 10. Most people have been able to fix it by opening a command prompt as administrator and running:

sfc /scannow

This finds and fixes some supposedly corrupt system files. After a reboot Outlook will send email again. It worked for me!

KenMac46
Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

I also was in the same situation as Jabiru: upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 and then found that Outlook wouldn't send emails but could receive them.  I tried repairing Office both locally and online.  The latter involved a download.  However I was then asked to reactivate Office and could not do this successfully.  I contacted the Microsoft support desk who sorted out the Office activation and also started the sfc /scannow.  This reported some corrupt files.  Outlook worked correctly after that.

Squirrel, from what source do you know that this seems to be a common problem?  It seems strange that such a problem got through all the pre-release testing.

KenMac

PinkSquirrel
Contributor
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

@KenMac46 wrote:

I also was in the same situation as Jabiru: upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 and then found that Outlook wouldn't send emails but could receive them.  I tried repairing Office both locally and online.  The latter involved a download.  However I was then asked to reactivate Office and could not do this successfully.  I contacted the Microsoft support desk who sorted out the Office activation and also started the sfc /scannow.  This reported some corrupt files.  Outlook worked correctly after that.

Squirrel, from what source do you know that this seems to be a common problem?  It seems strange that such a problem got through all the pre-release testing.

KenMac

My source is the Microsoft support forum for Windows 10. I've spent a good few hours reading hundreds of messages on there.

This is going a bit off topic but I'm not at all surprised by the problems - and there are lots of them. I've been testing Windows 10 for months but with clean installs rather than upgrades. This was an upgrade issue. Most likely you didn't need to do anything with Office to fix Outlook, just repair your system files. I'm about as impressed with Microsoft support as BT support - moderators on this forum excluded as they've been brilliant. Real Microsoft techies are good but the people I've chatted to about Windows 10 seem newly trained and not able to be that helpful unless it's something obvious.

0 Ratings
ROS1
Beginner
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

Many thanks for this, it's worked!! Spent ages waiting for BT 'chat' person and then he wanted to delete my Email accounts and reset. I said 'no' just send me the details and I'll check - sure enough all in order. Shame as he knew that Windows 10 was causing issues but didn't know the solution.

Hope other people see this (your reply) quickly enough too.

Cheers.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution
Pleased to see that you have pointed to a solution to help someone on the BT Communities.
There's an awful lot of waffle on the Microsoft Forums re Windows 10 at the moment.
Fortunately most but not all is well here. Just very minor details now.
No problems with MSOffice 365 though.
0 Ratings
Keith2
Beginner
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

This worked for me as well.

I'm very grateful.

0 Ratings
nickf99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

Hi KenMac46, and thank you so much. It worked for me too. I just wasted well over an hour with BT email support (and many hourse previously) - who took over my screen etc. and basically didn't have a clue. They started the support session by telling me that MS Outlook is 3rd party sw and as such they don't support it, and finished the session by telling me that it was Microsoft's problem. Whilst both of these statements are true I find it incredible that they cannot support the world's premiere email client.

many many thanks - I wish I'd come here first of all !!!

0 Ratings
mungo467
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

Hi,  I upgraded to Windows 10 at the beginning of this week.  My m/c was running Windows 7 and had been offered the free download.  Everything was working fine before the install and then the problems started.  Outlook was very intermittent in its connection.  My internet connection keeps dropping and the Broadband is now very slow, taking ages to load pages.  I am writing this on an old Dell Desktop running Windows XP so may well consider uninstalling Windows 10 on the Laptop as that is an option.  I worry that the uninstall may NOT be as easy as Microsoft state!  I should have trusted my instinct and waited until the new Software has been around longer.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

Make sure that your network card drivers are up to date. Go to the computer manufaturer's website or the card manufature's website to check. Do not rely on the Windows drivers to be correct.

If you go to Start > Control Panel > Device Manager > Scroll down to Network Adaptors > Click on the adaptor and it will give you the name of the adaptor and the driver details and what version is installed.

It is easy to roll back to your previous version of Windows but you only have 30 days in which to do that.

0 Ratings