Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scavandongen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Windows 7 network settings limit download speed

Hi all,

I've had BB for a month now, and I've noticed that frequently my BB download speed drops from 20 to 2 Mbit. I've had a chat with their technical helpdesk who ran some diagnostics using this speedtest. His conclusion was as follows:

"We have a dedicated helpdesk to deal with the configuration process of various network cards and operating systems. They are called BT Tech Experts and they offer telephone help for a fixed fee. You do not need to commit to anything now. They will explain how they will help and quote the price of the service on offer. You can then decide if you would like it."

So because BT is unable to configure their Hubs correctly I should incur extra costs? It absolutely ridiculous. I'm running Windows 7 mind you, not some obscure linux version. 

I'm quite sure that I'm not the only one with this problem, so I would be happy to hear suggestions. FYI: my banded profile and noise levels are all fine, it's down to a compatibility issue between my Hub3 and Windows 7. 

Looking forward to hear from you,

Stefan

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Windows 7 network settings limit download speed

Sorry there are no compatibility issues between windows 7 and the Home Hub

Are you connecting by a wired or wireless
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 24

Are you connecting by Ethernet or wireless.

Run the speed test again and the diagnostic test and post all the results back here. This test needs to be done connected by Ethernet.

Have you checked the network adaptor drivers are up to date via the manufactures website rather than Windows which can be out of date.

0 Ratings
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 24

It is my job to be a Tech Expert for problems like this (and other computer problems).  The advise given here so far is good.

I would not dream of attempting to help anyone with a problem of this nature over the telephone.  I don't recommend you seek telephone help unless you have no other alternative; you need somebody with you in your dwelling who can see your set-up and see what is happening to assist you properly.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 24

@Reed_Richards wrote:

It is my job to be a Tech Expert for problems like this (and other computer problems).  The advise given here so far is good.

I'm so glad you approve!

0 Ratings
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 24

Sorry, did that sound patronizing?  I did not mean it to.  And I see I cannot spell advice. 

The fundamental point I was trying to make is that there are limits to what can be accomplished over the telephone.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 24

the tech help team can also use remote access to resolve problems not just the Phone this link may help you http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=33468
0 Ratings
scavandongen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 24

Am I happy I've saved the chat log. The moderator was a bit too rash in moderating. Here are snippets from the chat conversation I had yesterday:

"The Broadband diagnostics we have just completed, indicate that the speed of your broadband connection is good from outside to your BT Home Hub. The speed slows down somewhere between the computer and the hub. This problem is most likely caused by the settings of the network card or operating system installed on your computer." 

This to me indicates that it's some form of compatibility issue. Every other ADSL network has worked just fine with the standard default settings (both in the Netherlands and the UK, using ADSL wireless, Ethernet and USB mobile internet). 

To respond to the other questions:

I was connected using Ethernet.

The result I got yesterday were: download: 2.07, upload 0.92, ping 41.6.

Today I got 1.58, 0.81, 48.13 respectively. 

Network adapters drivers are up to date. 

I'm strongly suspecting that BT is telling me nonsense. I think it's more likely that my landlord has not installed a master socket for each appartment flat in the building. The reduction in speed appears to be time dependent: 20Mbit in the morning, 10-12 around 7PM, dropping to 1.5 now. I will track this for a few days to see if this is consistent. Also I'll ask my neighbours if they have the same problem.

Question: I can get access to the location of the building's main phone line socket. How do I recognise if each appartment has its own master socket capable of fast broadband internet? 

An obvious way to determine this is by hooking my laptop directly to the master socket. A speedtest should yield results well higher than 20Mbit. However, I will have to disrupt internet and telephone services to my neighbours, which I would not mind particularly as I would communicate this well in advance but I am worried about causing more serious disruptions elsewhere. Any advice is appreciated.

0 Ratings
scavandongen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 24

Here are the results of the other diagnostics test:

Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 3.02 Mbps

0 Mbps21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 3.02 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 21.03 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.9 Mbps

0 Mbps0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.9Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.

If you wish to carry out further tests,please click on 'Continue' button.If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.

0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 10 of 24

As each subscriber has his own telephone line a master socket must be fitted to each exchange line into each flat. The master socket contains among other things the capacitor for the bell circuit . In BTs "plug and play" type sockets there is no components in extension sockets only the master. When you plug in a phone it is connected back to the bell components in the master socket. No master socket then your phone might not ring. But I realise some phones have a built in bell circuit and would work . But going "by the book" no bell circuit -no ring. Instead of a series connected bell . Plug and play sockets are parallel . This stopped the old issue of one bell circuit wire disconnected anywhere in the house then --no bell ring. But that wouldn't slow down your connection. There could be a case for HIGH resistance cable which WOULD slow down your broadband. But BT make a BIG point of this and tell you to check your internal wiring. This part is your responsibility.  

0 Ratings