Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 18

Re: Windows Live Mail not connceting with BT email

Are you sure the 'use secure password authentication' box isn't ticked?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 18

Yes, it is NOT ticked.

What is ticked is "Log on using clear text authentication"

I was surprised when I saw that as well so I checked it on my Vista (I know) computer and it's not ticked there either.

EDIT: if I change it to "Log on using secure passord authentication" I get an error and it won't log on.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 18

No, it shouldn't be ticked, that is why I was asking op. If using SSL, everything is encrypted anyway which is why you don't need to encrypt password separately.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 18

Hi

I changed the 'logon using secure password authentication' to 'logon using clear text authentication' and still cannot connect. The error message changes a bit as can be seen below.

Unable to send or receive messages for the Btinternet (XXXXX) account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'mail.btinternet.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes

Thanks for any advice.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 18

If you haven't already done this, can you try deleting the account, closing WLM, restarting your computer and then remake the account as per the settings I posted.

EDIT: You should also check that your antivirus is not blocking anything.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 18

Hi

Still having no success after trying various things. Will BT say this is not their problem as the BT Email is working?

Thanks for your advice.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 18

They will not assist you with anything other than webmail. 

Have you tried uninstalling Windows Live Mail from your computer and then re-installing it per chance it is corrupted in some way or are you able to try downloading and setting up the email client Thunderbird. It does the same as WLM. This would at least let you see if it is a problem with WLM.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 18 of 18

Goggs, there's been an intermittent problem with e-mail for a few days now, and many have not been able to download mail through win livemail amongst others. As you've found, you can access BT email. Don't waste any more time messing about with settings etc. There's a severed underwater cable apparently, which is being repaired.

0 Ratings