Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andydesigns
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Windows Live Mail spam

Go to solution

Hi,

Over the past few weeks I've been experiencing a deluge of spam, probably 40-50 emails per day. I use Windows Live Mail (Windows 7) to check my BT email and also other email accounts. I have noticed when I check the BT Webmail there is always alot less spam mail, and any spam mail that has come through has gone into the spam folder.

I would prefer to continue using Windows Live Mail, so can anyone suggest why WLM is not filtering spam as well as the Webmail?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Windows Live Mail spam

Go to solution
WLM is an email client which picks up your emails from the BT server. Webmail does the same via a browser.

I suspect you have WLM set up as IMAP which replicates what is on the server and seen by webmail. If not, you have it set as a POP account and have it set to delete mail after it is downloaded.

What is most likely happening is that you are getting your email and spam on WLM at which point you delete the spam. Because you have done that, when you check on webmail the spam appears less but in fact it is only because you have already deleted it.
0 Ratings
andydesigns
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
Yes I have WLM using POP which I believe means deleting mail locally would not affect mail on the server and therefore webmail wouldnt be affected.
0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@andydesigns wrote:
Yes I have WLM using POP which I believe means deleting mail locally would not affect mail on the server and therefore webmail wouldnt be affected.

Hi.

When using POP, unless you've set a flag to say "Leave messages on server", then it will delete the emails from the server and usually puts them into the trash folder only viewable by webmail when using POP.

Deleting locally is as you say, but depends on how you download your emails.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
Indeed, instead of implementing POP3 correctly and deleting mails completely from the server once downloaded, BT in their infinite wisdom move them to the trash folder instead to be deleted at some point in the future of their choosing!!
0 Ratings
andydesigns
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Since posting this issue any spam mail I have received in WLM seems to be correctly going straight into the junk mail which I have setup to auto-delete. So it appears BT may have fixed their spam filtering, I will have to see how many spam mails I have in the morning and which folder they have gone into.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

If you have WLM set up as a POP3 account and it is downloading spam from the BT servers into your junk folder on WLM it means that the spam is still being delivered to your Inbox on BT servers/webmail and is not being stopped by the BT spam filters.

If it was being stopped by the BT spam filters it would be in the spam folder on the server and not download by WLM.

0 Ratings
andydesigns
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Well I've definitely gotten alot less spam this morning, first time in a few weeks its been this good.

0 Ratings