cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sparky88
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Windows Live Mail

Hello I can not get my bt email to work in WLM, I have triple checked all my settings, and bt tells me that it is ok because I can use bt yahoo mail?

I don't want to use that I want all my mail addresses in one programme has anyone any ideas for someone of limited PC knowledge?

Many thanks Ted.

I use Windows 7 Home Premium and IE

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
minusdot
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: Windows Live Mail

@sparky88 wrote:

Hello I can not get my bt email to work in WLM, I have triple checked all my settings, and bt tells me that it is ok because I can use bt yahoo mail?

I don't want to use that I want all my mail addresses in one programme has anyone any ideas for someone of limited PC knowledge?

Many thanks Ted.

It's quite easy. Just click the "Add e-mail account" from the Quick views, enter your email address, password and Display Name and it gets it almost right. You then need to select the new account, right click and go to the properties. On the Server tab you need to tick "My server requires authentication" and on the Advanced tab ensure that "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" is NOT ticked.

0 Ratings
sparky88
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

All as you described still no joy, one possibility when you enter display name is that of my choosing or did I give bt one when I signed up?
Ta
0 Ratings
minusdot
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 18

The Display name can be anything, it's for your name but if you want to be sparky that's just fine!

So what happens - do you get an error message?

0 Ratings
sparky88
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

I got a few time out ones to start with then nothing when BT remote assist looked at it they just told me the server could be down, not for a week I said.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 18

@sparky88 wrote:

Many thanks Ted.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Have you used another email client program in the past without problem ?

What security or anti-virus package are you using ? Sometimes these can interfere with email client programs, and occasionally may need uninstalling and reinstalling.

What mail server have you got set ? (it should be mail.btinternet.com for both smtp and pop3).

Is the email account a "normal" primary email address, rather than possibly something else. There are still some Basic only accounts that don't allow for pop3/smtp access - these can be easily checked (try logging into http://www.bt.yahoo.com and see if the portal appears. If it goes straight into the webmail system, it's a Basic only account).

Sorry for the questions, but a little extra info can help Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
sparky88
Beginner
Message 7 of 18

Hello Andy thanks for the reply I have tried the portal and it is not a basic account, it is a new Acer laptop with no previous email clients or anything else, have reinstalled the McAfee anti virus and checked all the settings, and as I said mail server checked by myself and remote assist from BT.

There was a lot to be said for outlook Express even I could eventually work out the problems on that, all help appreciated.

Ted

0 Ratings
sparky88
Beginner
Message 8 of 18

just to make clear my problem, I can not send email by WLM.

Symptoms, I write mail, click send, it goes to my outbox, sits there till I open outbox and then tries to send untill the following error message appears 

A time-out occurred while communicating with the server.

Subject 'bkjhbj'
Server: 'mail.btinternet.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC19
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): No

I have tried all the obvious fixes and BT Assist no joy giving it one last try here then I'll give up on BT I knew it was a mistake to go with them but was in a hurry and thought they had improved their cutomer care.

Thanks Sparky.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

I use WLM and can send/receive my BT mail.  The only difference to what you show is my outgoing port is 587

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 18

The error code 0x800CCC19 is usually a problem with the antivirus , have you tried turning email scanning off ?

Has your email account been verified on the BTYahoo website ?

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10903/c/346,412,418/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMjk2NzUwO...

Also - if you still have a machine with outlook express and the email account works on it,try exporting the account onto a usb stick and then import it into Wlm on the new machine.

Btw my ports are 25 out and 110 in.

Del.

0 Ratings