cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neill64
Beginner
Message 21 of 34

Re: Windows Live Messenger keeps disconnecting with BT Infinity

i am having the same issue, msn works finwe on wireless but disconnects every couple of minutes on a wired connection
0 Ratings
KSean
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 34

I have been told this is not an issue with BT but rather Windows Live - which is funny, as if it was a Windows Live issue, the problem would also be present with wireless, which makes me suspect its the BT Home Hub.

But of course, BT will blame Microsoft, and I've contacted Microsoft and I expect them to blame BT.

😕

0 Ratings
vanginger
Message 23 of 34

I would love to have emailed you to add my name to the list of people with problems but this comes up with your address:

Moderation Team Email Address: Please fill out this "contact us" form http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

Anyway i have only just found this thread (even though I have had the problem since 'upgrading' to WLM2011.

The old messenger stays online fine, but not this new one, can last anything frmo 5 minutes to maybe 20 if I am lucky.  It does seem to last longer if i am not using webcam chat.

I have not yet tried wireless, I will..

One 'possible' interesting note.. i actually stayed connected a good 50 minutes the other night, using webcam.  I had a program on ITV player running at the same time and never got logged off msn.  Not had chance to try again yet, but I will.   it is probably just co-incidence, but it did last a heck of a lot longer than it has been doing.

EDIT: just tried it again with ITv palyer on, no luck!!!

0 Ratings
neill64
Beginner
Message 24 of 34

is there any update or solutions to this yet as it is being a real pain using wireless as that does not seem to be stable in my area (probably the amount of networks where i live)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
alanchown
Contributor
Message 25 of 34

I'm having exactly the same problem, Live messenger drops out on wired connection. I have mailed Sean as requested in earlier post.

Alan

0 Ratings
itsnotfun
Beginner
Message 26 of 34

I'm having exactly the same problem. Disconnecting every 10 minutes or so. And that's on a good day! I emailed/tweeted/phoned BT and they blamed it on Microsoft, which aren't the problem but ofcourse that takes the blame off BT so they don't have to actually fix problems for paying customers. I'll cancel my direct debit then see if they'll have another look into the problem for me.

0 Ratings
KSean
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 34

For anyone else having these issues, I seem to have found a solution that stops the disconnections from occuring.

Basically Windows Live Messenger uses three ports for communication: normally, it uses Port 1863, and if this port is not available (due to it being blocked or some other reason), it reverts to using a connection over HTTP(s) with ports 443 and 80.

Windows Live Messenger does not seem to disconnect for me when it uses ports 443 and 80, but does on 1863 (this further suggests that this is a home hub issue!). Unfortunately, Windows Live Messenger does not allow you to force it to connect on port 443/80, so the best way to do it is to simply block port 1863 on your Firewall.

To do this on Windows Firewall (Vista/7, may be similar steps for XP), follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then in the search box type wf.msc and press Enter.

2. Windows Firewall with Advanced Security appears. Click 'Outbound Rules' to the left, then click on 'New Rule' to the right.

3. In the window that appears, select Port and click Next.

4. Select TCP and Specific Remote Ports. In the Specific Remote Ports, enter 1863 and click Next

5. Click Block The Connection and click Next.

6. Make sure 'Domain', 'Public' and 'Private' are all ticked, and click Next.

7. Give it a name and description, something like "WLM Port 1863 Block" or similar. Then click Finish.

8. Reboot your machine, and then WLM should work without disconnections (at least it did for me!) 🙂

0 Ratings
kuzel
Beginner
Message 28 of 34

Bump Smiley Mad

Hey guys, im one of people who gets MSN disconnect frequently as well..

KSean, your method didn't really work for me 😞

I'm guessing its the router's problem so I'm going to just buy a new one but I do not know which.

Which type is the Home Hub router?

Thx

0 Ratings
kuzel
Beginner
Message 29 of 34

bump
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 30 of 34

For Infinity all you need is a router that can use a PPPoE connection. It does not need to be an ADSL router as infnity has a separate modem.

I'm using a Belkin PlayMax for cable connection but there are many others out there. Just check in the specs that it supports PPPoE and your good to go.

For user name and password use your BT email credentials.

0 Ratings