cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reggie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 51 of 138

Re: Windows Mail - Server Terminating Connection when downloading mail with attachments

Thank you for that reply-something else the yahoo technical team couldn't answer.
0 Ratings
MAN
Beginner
Message 52 of 138

Re: Windows Mail - Server Terminating Connection when downloading mail with attachments

Having spent all day on this yesterday, I have been stirring it up again today. Finally got through to someone sensible and got a straight answer. Basically, BT are aware of the issue (for some time) and are tearing their hair out - they cannot solve it. Yahoo (who host / manage the BT email servers) are refusing to accept that it is their (server) problem, hence passing the blame off to Microsoft Outlook, etc. Until they can get Yahoo to accept ownership of the fault, as I understand it, it will not be solved. Hence the recommended workaround (move large mail to separate folder in webmail) in the interim. Logically, it has to be a server issue, but it is very hard to prove for sure. I am trying to escalate within this part of BT in an attempt to force senior management to put more pressure on Yahoo.

Interestingly, I note a few people who have this connection termination problem writing on here have low broadband speeds. I, too, am at the end of the line - very slow broadband speeds 0.7M down / 0.3M up max. There seems possibly to be something of a correlation here, which I have flagged up to BT.

1) If you have a slow broadband speed, does this correlate to an email of c1MB causing the server to drop the connection?

2) I note someone earlier was talking about this (?) issue with mail of 10MB and above? What is your broadband speed?

Basically trying to isolate whether it might be a slow broadband / latency issue or whether the same problem occurs with larger file sizes at higher broadband speeds.

0 Ratings
reggie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 53 of 138

I have bt infinity which tested at d/load 40.09mbps u/load 12.41mbps, ping latency ms34.25 . Means little to me but might help with audit. I am routing all emails via gmail presently which is annoying but I can't stand yahoo webmail
0 Ratings
radar007
Message 54 of 138

My father has the same problem of one of his two email btinternet email accounts, terminating the connection on a 4Meg attachment, and he is using BT infinity 38Mb down, 8Mb up speeds

0 Ratings
rlaight
Message 55 of 138

I am on a slow connection - 0.5Mbs download / 0.4Mbs upload and an seeing exactly the same timeout issue. I take it from this forum that BT has no idea of when (or if) a fix will become available.

Looks like the only solutions are to either quit BT or give the gmail forwding solution a try

0 Ratings
bobreed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 56 of 138

Seems to have gone a bit quiet on his forum are you all now happy?  Had a call from BT who promised that the problem would be fixed on 16th June.   No such luck!  Took a further complaint email (now on number 3) before I got a call from their technical people who said they would escalate the problem.  Wonder what they have been doing for the last two months?  Can I assume that others are still suffering.  My previous two complaint cases seems to have been closed and they have now opened up a third.  I feel an email to the Chairman of BT is coming! 

0 Ratings
reggie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 57 of 138

I dont use outlook anymore, or my btinternet email address, I syphon everything through google mail which is ridiculous but I refuse to use Yahoo webmail and have all that invasive advertising bleeping up, which in my opinion is a breach of my confidentiallity as I dont want it, but cant get rid of it (I have asked BT and been told this).  I did try outlook week before last, and it froze after opening one email.  I pay a lot of money every month to BT and am not happy with the situation but have an 18 month contract.  I would have thought that by not fixing this problem, there is an issue with frustration of contract through not providing a service that is fit for purpose but am too busy to pursue at present.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 58 of 138

I have been following this thread with interest as I have the same problem. It is a function of POP3 with a slow broadband connection as far as I can tell and started to occur a couple of months ago. After having 2complaint cases closed down without a fix or consultation, I escalated the problem to the Chairman's office. I too was promised that a fix would be implemented on the 16th June but nothing happened, the fault is still there. The problem is obviously with Yahoo's POP3 servers which BT are having difficulty in getting them to fix. It would save everybody's time and patience if they would admit this rather than trying to fob people off and convince them it is a problem with Outlook. 

0 Ratings
GerardQ
Contributor
Message 59 of 138

I'm now on my third complaint having experienced the same problem for around 5 weeks. The two previous responses to my complaints were almost identical... the standard blurb "make sure this and that, have you done this and so on". Not to mention all that garbage along the lines of "it could be your anti-virus software." Fed up hearing this standard script which by now is well rehearsed.

They're always deflecting attention away from the server and saying it's my client (WLM). I agree it's to do with Yahoo's POP3 servers, for sure. We've all got different e-mail clients and anti-virus software anyway, so how could they all be causing the problem. They must think we're buttoned up the back!!

Makes you also wonder what on earth this BT-Yahoo "partnership" is really like behind the scenes.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
GerardQ
Contributor
Message 60 of 138

Well, since my last post, the problem persists although it seems to occur slightly less frequently. For example, one day all my mails are successfully downloaded to my e-mail client (I have Windows 7 Home Premium with Windows Live Mail) and I think, or used to, "ah good - we're back in business" only to find that the next day the **bleep** problem is back again. Crazy.

Call me paranoid but my latest thinking is that BT wants to discourage people using any e-mail client (MS Outlook, Windows Live Mail) and to instead always use BT Yahoo webmail. Conspiracy theory or not, I wonder.

0 Ratings