cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reggie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 71 of 138

Re: Windows Mail - Server Terminating Connection when downloading mail with attachments KEITH

thanks for your helpful reply - however, instead of the POP3 incoming server info, you need the SMTP4, whatever that is.  It should be accessible by going into the web mail browser, so presumably the yahoo web browser, and looking at account settings.  The microsoft forum says, if this is not visible on the account settings page, then the IMAP is not supported by this provider and to "contact your mail administrator" - would that I could!

With regard to Thunderbird - I had this set up once before and I did not get on with it at all.  I have used Outlook for years, and feel comfortable with it.  All this faffing around trying to sort the issue is really annoying and I have made up my mind at the end of my 18 month contract if this issue is not sorted, to take my business elsewhere - what really annoys me is that if you do actually get through to the "support" team, which I have been unsuccessful in doing since this particular issue and have given up trying, opinions differ. 

Just want to have a further beef about the Yahoo webmail.  I live in the UK and I really, really object to the Americanisation of this website, with the instrusive ads and American spellings. I cant see how it is allowed to advertise so aggressively.  To me it is equivalent to the SPAM and advertising rubbish that we spend so long setting up firewalls and software to prevent.   I always worry about how these aggressive advertisers are accessing my computer details.  I will have nothing to do with it if at all possible.  Gmail is Americanised too but less intrusive, so I would suggest to all others experiencing these problems, to open a gmail account and route your emails through that - you have apps that can get rid of the advertising on that site.  It also very easy to do for those like me who are technojargonphobes.  Of course, we should not have to do this, but I just need to get on with my work now.

0 Ratings
pheasant
Message 72 of 138

Re: Windows Mail - Server Terminating Connection when downloading mail with attachments

This is beyond belief.

Like many posters here I have had a nightmare with e-mail recently; virtually any e-mail with an attachment above a few kb just refuses to download in Outlook. Several tedious calls to BT Yahoo support, with hours spent on remote handling by the BT tech, have produced nothing. Like many others, I was advised to 'consult a PC engineer', as 'the problem is with your system'.

Funny how it affects two desktops running Win 7 and a laptop running XP, with the laptop logging on from numerous hotspots when I'm away.

I have now resorted to logging on through webmail, downloading the attachment, then moving the entire e-mail to a specially created folder.

What a joke.

I also note that this problem has been going on since April - it's now August - 5 months to achieve precisely, err, nothing. If we all billed BT for the time wasted, they would be bust.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
bobreed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 73 of 138

Re: Windows Mail - Server Terminating Connection when downloading mail with attachments

The plot thickens !!!   I am still suffering the original problem of the server timing out and have received no contact from BT for a couple of weeks.  Then it got worse if that is possible.  I started to get old emails that I had deleted weeks ago being downloaded as new emails.  I thought that this was just an inconvenience until I looked on webmail and saw that new mails had been moved to the trash folder that had NOT downloaded via POP3.  It seems that instead of a new mail being downloaded the mail server is substituting it with an old one that it has taken from the ether somewhere.  Again this is only happening intermittently.  Called BT - promised a fix by 3pm on 16th August - Guess What????   It seems they have closed my fault case as resolved on 7th August.   Another complaint email now sent.  This is number 5 since March.   Have now configured IMAP in my Outlook express which seems to be working ok.  However, I will persist to get this POP3 problem solved.

To add insult to injury the email that got trashed was from BT telling me they are switching me to paper free billing.  That will be interesting if I don't get their emails !!!!!

0 Ratings
silverdog
Aspiring Contributor
Message 74 of 138

I have had this problem for months now and thought it was my laptop which was getting very slow. Setting up Outlook on a desktop PC I find I have the same problem so started looking on the web for answers and found this thread.  I live only metres from the exchange, so speed is not a problem.  Also all emails fail several times during download whether with attachments or not.  Very frustrating. 

0 Ratings
FriendlyBombs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 75 of 138

This has been going on forever!

As I write... my own Windows Mail is trying to download two tiny emails. So far it has delivered the first one 9 times into my inbox but it cannot retrieve the second. This is happening every time I try to download my email and has been ongoing for month after month. I did think that BT would fix this... eventually... but NO they blinking-well haven't.

No longer can I quickly check my messages. Instead I have to sit here waiting and watching the same message delivered multiple times, while other messages remain on the server. And the "your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection" message pops up again and again and again and again.... etc.

These are not large emails with attachments... and I have a connection speed that should easily cope (and always used to cope) with such a basic, simple little task.

OK... that's now 14 attempts in as many minutes and I have finally retrieved both emails... however of the fifteen new messages now in my inbox, 14 are exactly the same.

BT... how much longer?

0 Ratings
FriendlyBombs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 76 of 138

"BT... how much longer?"

And answer came there none.

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 77 of 138

Hello guys,

Thanks for posting about this issue.

I can confirm that we’re investigating a problem where some customers are unable to send mails with larger attachments through Windows Live Mail.

We are working to get this fixed and I will keep you posted with any developments.

Thanks,

Stephanie
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 78 of 138

@StephanieG wrote:
Hello guys,

Thanks for posting about this issue.

I can confirm that we’re investigating a problem where some customers are unable to send mails with larger attachments through Windows Live Mail.

We are working to get this fixed and I will keep you posted with any developments.

Thanks,

Stephanie

It is not just Windows Live Mail. It is any POP3 e-mail client on any operating system (linux etc)

0 Ratings
GerardQ
Contributor
Message 79 of 138

Yes - as licquorice says, it is any e-mail client.

Thanks to StephanieG for making a post but the problem is not one of sending mails but rather the inability to receive / download e-mails to our e-mail clients.

Also, the probllem is not necessarily confined to downloading e-mails with attachments - even receiving mails without attachements (just a few kilobytes in size) has been problematic.

The Sage on this forum previously advised to switch to IMAP from POP3, but the BT Yahoo Mail service is specified to work with POP3 and according to standard POP3 settings as specified by BT.

On rare occasions, my inbound e-mail does come thorugh to my e-mail client (it happens to be Windows Live Mail) without issues, but most of the time my client reports server timeout problems - and yes, I've got my client set up to deal with the longest possible server timeout.

I think this issue started for many of us round about Feb-Mar of this year. But we appreciate the fact that StephanieG is moving things forward.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 80 of 138

Just had a phone call from nice man at BT to say it will be fixed on the 18th September! Smiley Happy

Not getting excited, thats about the 4th call I've had saying it will be fixed on a particular date.Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings