cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reggie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 101 of 138

Re: Windows Mail - Server Terminating Connection when downloading mail with attachments

Hi Richb, I changed my Pop3 outlook to port 995 (says something along the lines of "use encrypted") - since then, and fingers crossed, I have been able to receive and send emails without freezing, and have downloaded quite substantial photographic attachments sent from another email account.  It is great to have outlook back again.  Thank you for coming up with this fix!!Smiley HappyWoman LOL

0 Ratings
bobreed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 102 of 138

Re: Windows Mail - Server Terminating Connection when downloading mail with attachments

Not wishing to dampen anyone's enthusiasm regarding the SSL fix.  I have had this enabled now for about three weeks and found a vast improvement.  In fact I have had no problems at all until the other day when someone sent me an email with an 8Mb attachment.  Then the old time out error returned.  That said I have only seen it once since enabling SSL.  On my weekly update phone call from BT I raised this potential fix with them and was told that this does not cure the problem for all users.  I aslo asked whether SSL was supported and was told no.   In view of the improvement I am leaving it enabled for the time being but I think that we are still waiting for a fix that will cure all users problems.  Incidentally I do have a slow broadband connection. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 103 of 138

Agreed this is not a fix for all. It has made no difference at all to my ability to download attachments. However, at least having a secure connection is an improvement! I'm still not sure if the delay in fixing this is due to Yahoo not fully understanding the problem or the inability to provide a fix.
0 Ratings
Julia_Sally
Aspiring Contributor
Message 104 of 138

It time BT got this problem sorted out, its been going on for at least 6 months, I am a freelance IT consultant, and countless clients have had the same timeout problem, if you phone BT they say it is an email client problem, but I have seen this over the months with Outlook 2010, Outlook 2007, Outlook 2003, outlook express, windows mail and windows live mail all these big companies are far too quick to blame a 3rd party, yes I agree deleting a large email from webmail resolves the problem.......that is until another large email comes in and quite often my clients don't want to delete them or move them to a folder on webmail, they want the email on their computer.  Changing the settings to SSL and port 995 makes no difference at all.  Come on BT these people pay you for a service and you aren't providing it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 105 of 138

Interestingly, I have just had an e-mail from BT today to say they are going to migrate my account to a different server farm to try and fix this problem. Guess its too hard to fix the problem on the old servers. Let you know what happens after the migration.

0 Ratings
GerardQ
Contributor
Message 106 of 138

Re: Windows Mail - Server Terminating Connection when positive mail with attachments

Hi Julia-Sally - while changing to secure port 995 isn't a one-size-fits-all fix, it has had a really positive impact for my own context of use. But yes, we want BT to get a grip, recognise as a first step that this is their problem, and then implement a future proofed and sustainable solution for everyone - not one of those "quick wins" (I hate this expression - I keep hearing it more and more including my own organisation.)

Liquorice also tells us they've migrated his account to another server farm. I hope that does the trick but then what? If this proves to be successful, are they going to do batch migration of all our accounts to the other server farm?

My god, this debacle would test the patience of a saint - at least 6 months and no proper fix from BT.

0 Ratings
Julia_Sally
Aspiring Contributor
Message 107 of 138

Re: Windows Mail - Server Terminating Connection when positive mail with attachments

Hi GerardQ  Interestingly BT Business are in the process of migrating all their email servers to pop.outlook.com so with luck they have realised they have a big problem and will also transfer all the btinternet email accounts too.

0 Ratings
GerardQ
Contributor
Message 108 of 138

Hi Julia_Sally - thanks for this piece of info. That is interesting. We shall see what transpires.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
bobreed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 109 of 138

Well here we are now almost into December and still no fix.  Still getting the same error on emails of any reasonable size and a weekly phone call from BT's help desk saying there is no update.  Apparently a possible fix was due on 5/6th November but this didn't do the trick for me.  Has anyone else noticed this fix making a difference.

I have now escalated this by email to a member of BT's Board who has replied as follows (on 2nd Nov).

"First of all, I’m sorry you’ve had a bad experience with the service, and that there has not been progress in solving the problem.  It’s the first time I have been made aware of the issue personally, but clearly it has been running for a while; and whilst I can see that the team is trying to find a solution, this is taking too long to resolve. 

Having looked into this briefly with the operations team, there have been successive attempts at fixing the problem by Yahoo! but these have not solved the issues.  There does appear to be another attempt to implement a fix, and this scheduled for next Monday/Tuesday (5th / 6th Nov).  Hopefully this will make a difference, but in the meantime, I will escalate further with my counterpart at Yahoo! and come back to you once I have more insight."

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 110 of 138

Still no fix here. My account was allegedly migrated to a different server farm a couple of weeks ago but that made no difference. I have supplied Yahoo with Wireshark packet traces of POP3 sessions to help solve the problem (as I believe others have also done) to no avail. I would be happier if Yahoo actually provided some feedback as to what they are actually doing to solve the problem rather than just stating they haven't got a solution.
0 Ratings