cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 61 of 138

Re: Windows Mail - Server Terminating Connection when downloading mail with attachments

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, setup your e-mail client to use IMAP, and you will have no problems.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 62 of 138

Re: Windows Mail - Server Terminating Connection when downloading mail with attachments

That is irelevant, if BT advertise a POP3 e-mail service it should work properly. Not everybody wishes to use IMAP (or webmail for that matter). The latest date I have been given for a fix is tomorrow, we shall see!

0 Ratings
bobreed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 63 of 138

Let us know what happens.  I was promised a fix for last Friday - guess what?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 64 of 138

Well what a surprise, it hasn't been fixed.

0 Ratings
bunters59
Beginner
Message 65 of 138

Re: Windows Mail - Server Terminating Connection when downloading mail with or without attachments

I've had this same problem for a couple of weeks on my PC: the mail server connnection dropping with an inactivity timeout error when attempting to retrieve email in Outlook Express, irrespective of message size or whether it has an attachment. I upgraded to Windows Live Mail and the problem persisted. My email and connection settings check out fine, firewall and antivirus are not blocking anything, POP3 mail settings are correct and server timeout setting are up to the maximum. Reported the problem to BT last week and (being off work that week) stated the best time to call me was between midday and 3pm, unsurprisingly they attempted to call me at 5.30pm on Sunday in the middle of the tensest bit of the Wimbledon men's final. Great start. I didn't get to the phone in time so they will call me again. But as I'm back at work this week, they will not get hold of me.

It looks from the correspondence here that the issue is definitely with the BT Yahoo mail servers. Interestingly, other threads have flagged up a very similar problem occurring if you also have your smartphone set up to access your BTinternt and/or Yahoo mail through the same account, which I do: some users suggest a recent security upgrade means it it can't now cope with two separate devices connected to the same account simultaneously. Wondering if this would make any difference, I deleted my Btinternet mail account from my (admittedly ancient) Palm Pre phone yesterday and then set it up again. Having done that I found I couldn't access my email via the Pre without the BT Yahoo server repeatedly returning "invalid security information" errors. Which also suggests to me that it's a problem with the server security settings and not with any particular mail client software or settings on a users PC.

Now that I've deleted the mail account from the phone again, the problem I was getting on the PC seems to have cleared up - at least for today, no more server droputs. Perhaps this is a coincidence, but I'll keep an eye on it and see if it recurs.

0 Ratings
GerardQ
Contributor
Message 66 of 138

I agree with licquorice. IMAP versus POP3 does not come into this longstanding issue. I share my laptop with my brother who has his own btinternet e-mail account... he doesn't experience the issue - it's just poor old me 😞

0 Ratings
bunters59
Beginner
Message 67 of 138

After two weeks I'm still getting the intermittent fault with an inactivity timeout error returned from the server whenever I try to sync new emails to Windows Live Mail (but only my primary email address is affected). The only way to clear this problem seems to be to sign in to BT Yahoo to view my email on the web and then sign out again, close the browser, then launch Windows Live Mail - messages will then download OK. The most irritating thing is that BT have now closed my reported fault and marked it resolved with no explanation or contact, yet the fault is obviously still there. This looks more and more like a BT Yahoo remote mail server issue which BT either won't, or can't, fix.

0 Ratings
reggie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 68 of 138

Re: Windows Mail - Server Terminating Connection when downloading mail with attachments KEITH

Dear Keith, I thought I might try your idea of setting up an IMAP account for outlook as I am still getting the freeze factor when trying to use Outlook, so well explained by all the posts on this issue.  Firstly, I dont think I should have to do this as I have never had problems with other service providers; and my indignation has been further roused by trying to do this for the past half hour and giving up because I cant find the IMAP4 incoming server details.  Believe me, I have gone into all the microsoft help pages to do so.  I believe it is found in the My Account settings on the web browser, but after wading through all the advertising JUNK on Yahoo that completely confuses me,  I can only locate outgoing, and POP3 - can you please tell me because I now have a mission to find out the answer to this question?  I have to say that gmail has worked brilliantly for me so thumbs up to them, but my outlook account still needs managing as I get a build up.

I have to manage my own IT stuff and usually find out how to do things but this has given me a headache.  

0 Ratings
GerardQ
Contributor
Message 69 of 138

Re: Windows Mail - Server Terminating Connection when downloading mail with attachments KEITH

I also started to go down the route of changing to IMAP but gave up. In truth, as I've already said above, I don't believe POP3 vs. IMAP is the problem. Rather, the problem remains a BT Yahoo server config issue which remains, after months, unresolved. What on earth are BT playing at. Also, as mentioned by another person above, they've got the front to "look into" the issue and then to say the issue is "resloved". Well, it certainly isn't. I'm perpelexed as to where we all go from here. Here are the client mail settings for use with BT Yahoo Mail:

Incoming Mail (POP3) Server - mail.btinternet.com 
Port (usually specified in 'Advanced settings') - 110

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - mail.btinternet.com 
Port (usually specified in 'Advanced Settings') - 25

Account Name/Login Name - Your email address (including the "@btinternet.com" or "@btopenworld.com" part) 
Password - Your BT Yahoo! password

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 70 of 138

Look at the settings for Thunderbird, on my e-mail help pages. I cannot help you with Outlook, as I do not use it, but there must be an option to setup an IMAP account.

There is nothing to stop you using Thunderbird as well as Outlook. You may find that you prefer it.

0 Ratings