Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Windows Phone app?

Go to solution
When are we going to get a BT Sport app for Windows Phone?
0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: Windows Phone app?

Go to solution

@reddevildisco wrote:
When are we going to get a BT Sport app for Windows Phone?

When Windows Phone is used by large enough numbers of people to make it work the effort?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution
~10% of the market and growing fast and anticipated to overtake iPhone in the not too distant future. I know dozens of people with a Windows Phone. Unless you are very blinkered, it probably is worth the effort??
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

@reddevildisco wrote:
~10% of the market and growing fast and anticipated to overtake iPhone in the not too distant future. I know dozens of people with a Windows Phone. Unless you are very blinkered, it probably is worth the effort??

Not anticipated by anyone credible, Windows Phone has been a disaster for MS which is why they've had to buy Nokia to try and push it out there. 

Even if it did have 10% of the UK market, which is doubtful as it only has 3% of the US, the number of users who then in turn have a YouView box will be a small proportion of that figure.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

WP phones have already overtaken iPhone installed base in several European countries and are currently outselling iPhone devices in all European countries by volume. It won't be long before the install base overtakes it too. The bare fact is that WP is the only platform with a growing market share across Europe at the expense of all the others. US have always been a bit backward in adoption of phone technology - it was about 5 years behind UK before they really caught on to text messaging.

WP phones are better with genral compatability so as more comapnies start to make better use of HTML5 apps will become largely redundant anyway, since providing them 'properly' will make it compatible with all phone types other than just the media people's favourite retro iOS (Win 3.1 style grid of icons and 90's platform games).

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

What complete rubbish. WP is a good phone OS as is Android and IOS. With nearly 15% of UK market it should be worth BT making an app even if you hate Microsoft

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution
Sorry, delly77, where do you get that figure of 15% of UK market?

Kantar World Panel UK sales statistics show WP peaking at 11% of sales in December and now dropping back to about 9%
IOS is around 29-30% of the market and Android 55-60% .

http://www.kantarworldpanel.com/smartphone-os-market-share/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

There are windows apps for wifi and the cloud app - so why not Sport?

Better bet will maybe be a windows 10 universal app for desktop, phone, tablet etc.

Either way - at work most people have a WP or a windows tablet - and/or surface. People generally use their work phones for personal use at home or on the road. Microsoft aren't going away people, not for a long time if ever.

This is similar to the thread on the Strava forums where their developers have some kind of irrational hate of Bill Gates (who used to be CEO of Microsoft) and have almost made a lifelong vow not to support windows.

There's geek politics in play here people - you would need to work in IT to understand it.

The take home message is that I want a BT sports app on my windows phone so I can enjoy my yummy new 4G sim card BT have sent me 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution
It's not an irrational hatred - more a case of simple economics. In the UK, WP is less than 10% of the smartphone market. In the US, it's far worse at < 5% .

Perhaps when W10 is fully rolled out as a free upgrade (in at least 3 months, judging by recent MS blogs), W10 for phones is released and W10 for XBox One is out, then universal apps might have appeal.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

9% of any market is pretty significant.

The reason it's irrational is that it would take about 4 weeks for a couple of developers to develop the actual application. It would plug into the same services as the iOS and android apps (if they've been written correctly). The cost of which pales into nothing when you weigh that up against how much the broadband market and TV is worth.

For the sake of lets say 100K (and that is really really the top end) - why exclude people who would aybe switch to BT to get the sports? Or just take the sports on it's own.

Doesn't make sense, thus why I said it's irrational. As an IT development manager, I run into these kinds of people all the time. They swear no one uses windows and everyone wants linux etc.

0 Ratings