Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
notso
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Windows auto login to BT Wifi

Hi,

just got BT Broadband.  I have setup all our home mobiles with the app to logon to BT wifi.  I want to do the same to the kids' laptops.  I don't want to give them the logon details as they can then log into MyBT and change settings, e.g. turn off controls.

Any ideas?  At the moment doesn't seem very secure to have to give the kids the logon details.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Windows auto login to BT Wifi

When BTWifi was conceived many many years ago it was so that the primary account holder could use BTWifi when out and about. It was not intended to be used by other people so there was no need to allow access to other users.

It was and still remains that way and as such if you want others to use your BTWifi access you have to "give" them your username and password.

As you have found out, you can enter the details into the BTWifi app and the app retains the username and more importantly the password so that the people you are allowing to use your access to BTWifi do not need to be "given" your password.

As far as I am aware this does not work where access BTWifi via a web browser such as when using it via a laptop. This is because the log on details are not always retained by web browser and have to be entered manually. 

It has been suggested many times that there should be a facility for family members who have their own BTID should be allowed to log on them selves and thus negating the need for the account holder to share their password but BT have not taken up this suggestion.

0 Ratings
notso
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Crazy in this day and age that they would think that is acceptable

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

The WiFi connection of your home devices to the BT router has nowt to do with the login to MyBT. With Windows lappys just find the router's WiFi SSID in their list of WiFi networks seen & supply its pwd.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

You appear to missing the point. The OP isn't talking about their home wifi connection, they are talking about BTwifi when out and about which requires a browser (or app) login.

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

@XRaySpeX wrote:

The WiFi connection of your home devices to the BT router has nowt to do with the login to MyBT. With Windows lappys just find the router's WiFi SSID in their list of WiFi networks seen & supply its pwd.

Perhaps you might find this of use.

https://www.btwifi.co.uk/what-is-bt-wi-fi/index.jsp

There is often confusion by some people using the term wifi when the actually mean wireless and in particular when on this forum where BTWifi is a specific product. 

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

At the time I posted I thought it could equally refer to WiFi on the LAN to the BT router but, yes, I should have realised earlier that the mention of a login to MyEE put it in context of BT WiFi hotspots.

I am aware of BT WiFi hotspots.