cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pfdg
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Windows defender update 20 july 2013

I have had a number of problems with the latest windows defender updates 1.155.29.0, 311.0 and 565.0 which has meant i have had to restore my system three times as when i installed it first mcafee and broadband did not connect. I have managed to restore and hide these updates. The update was 20mb. Has anyone else experience conflict with this ?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Windows defender update 20 july 2013

What Windows system are you using?

If it's Windows 8 then Windows Defender is an antivirus program that is turned on by default. If you installed BTNetprotect/McAfee it should have turned off Defender when it was installed but it could be that rather than turning it off they are conflicting and this has been aggravated when you installed the update.

If that is the case my advice would be to uninstall BTNetprotect. It can cause problems on some computers and hogs resources. Windows Defender is a capable antivirus program.

If you are using another Windows version then Windows Defender should only be working as an anti-malware program and should work alongside BTNetprotect/McAfee however I would still advise uninstalling it for the above reasons and installing another free antivirus program such as Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast Free or AVG 2013 free.

If you do decide to uninstall BTNetprotect follow this guide and remember to use the uninstall BTNetprotect tool after you have restarted your computer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523/~/i-don't-want-bt-netprotect-plus-anymore.-how-...

0 Ratings
pfdg
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Well thanks. I managed to system restore and connected and then shut down only for the whole thing to happen again. The computer boots up but fails to load mcafee and cannot connect so system restore to a point before the windows upgrade is the only option. I do not want to have to repeat this process each time so short of deinstalling mcafee how can I check start up programs ?

0 Ratings
pfdg
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

I am using Window Vista basic home
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Start in safe mode. When starting up press F8 repeatedly. You will be given an option screen. Select safe mode. Once started in safe mode you should be able to uninstall the faulty update however I suspect that it is McAfee that is the problem.

I have downloaded that update onto one of my computers and have had no problem. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 10

@gg30340 wrote:

Start in safe mode. When starting up press F8 repeatedly. You will be given an option screen. Select safe mode. Once started in safe mode you should be able to uninstall the faulty update however I suspect that it is McAfee that is the problem.

I have downloaded that update onto one of my computers and have had no problem. 

Perhaps this may help the op if the above fails.

Firstly:-

Go to control panel > check this computers security status.

See what the problems are, if any. You may be able to "fix" an issue automatically.

Secondly, if you can't fix the problem:-

Go to msconfig (type msconfig in the search box from the START menu).

Click on services tab and scroll down to see if MacAfee is enabled, i.e. that the box is checked. Also check if there is anything else which is not enabled and should be.

I had this problem 7 years ago with MacAfee and Vista Windows Defender. They sometimes conflict with each other, or don't start, after updates.

I don't use MacAfee any longer - it's good when it works, which is not always.

0 Ratings
pfdg
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

This is irritating. I have restored system, checked all the statuses, disabled defender. I cannot uninstall any defender updates but if windows defender is stopped that should not be a problem but if any of you has any idea how to uninstall a defender update as windows seems to stop you from doing so then please tell me how. It takes about twenty minutes to load mcafee and then get on the net.  I can find no other problems with the operating system or mcafee.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Why don't you try uninstalling McAfee and see how you get on. By the sound of things you have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

If you want to uninstall McAfee follow this guide

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

If its BTNetprotect / McAfee you have then follow this guide and remember to use the removal tool once you have restarted your computer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523/~/i-don't-want-bt-netprotect-plus-anymore.-how-...

EDIT: You won't be able to uninstall any Defender updates unless you go into safe mode because Defender will be running when you start up in normal mode.

0 Ratings
maglin
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

In Vista windows defender is not an anti-virus - it's only an anti-malware (and not a very good one - though it should theoretically run OK alongside an av).

In Windows 8 it is an anti-virus - confusing isn't it?

If you are going to remove McAfee you will need another anti-virus - eg MSE or avast.

Whichever you go for, I would be inclined to disable windows defender (you can't uninstall it). If you want a second opinion anti-malware scanner I would go with Malwarebytes.

Good luck.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 10 of 10

@pfdg wrote:

This is irritating. I have restored system, checked all the statuses, disabled defender. I cannot uninstall any defender updates but if windows defender is stopped that should not be a problem but if any of you has any idea how to uninstall a defender update as windows seems to stop you from doing so then please tell me how. It takes about twenty minutes to load mcafee and then get on the net.  I can find no other problems with the operating system or mcafee.

You can uninstall a windows update as follows.

Open windows update.

click on "update history"

at the top of the list you will see in red "Uninstall  updates"  help, etc , etc.

Just click on the uninstall updates.

A list of installed updates will appear.

Right click on the update you want to remove.......uninstall.

Easy when you know how. Quicker than uninstalling MacAfee every time.

(Before you do this you may have to set to install updates when you want to, i.e. not automatically.

I dont think this applies to Vista, you have to tick what you want to install.)

Next time don't tick on windows defender updates. My advice is that you disable windows defender.

Hope this helps.

0 Ratings