cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrisDSP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Windows live mail will send mail on all accounts but not receive on all accounts ?

Go to solution

Help I am getting grief from the wife. Downloaded windows live mail onto her new Dell 660 PC running Windows 7 imported all settings for the 4 email accounts & contacts etc from the old PC running Windows XP & Outlook Express 6 which where all working perfectly.

Tested WLM on all accounts and all four will send emails but only two will receive emails, have checked all the settings against the old PC account settings using properties and they are the same.

One of the accounts returns no errors yet will not receive emails.

One of the accounts returns an error see below:

Unable to send or receive messages for the xxxxxxxx account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'mail.btinternet.com'

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F

Protocol: POP3

Port: 110

Secure(SSL): No

Running Mcafee security centre have tried switching the firewall off which had no effect on the two accounts that don’t receive emails.

Have uninstalled WLM and re-downloaded and reinstalled unfortunately windows being the way it is has put all the information back into the program and I am back to square one with the same problem.

Any guidance would be gratefully received.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Windows live mail will send mail on all accounts but not receive on all accounts ?

Go to solution

ChrisDSP,

Have a look at this thread particularly the first and second last pages of posting.

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Windows-Mail-Server-Terminating-Connection-when-download...

I assume all the accounts are BT Yahoo accounts.

For the account that has no error messages does webmail confirm that there are emails to download ?

0 Ratings
ChrisDSP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Re: Windows live mail will send mail on all accounts but not receive on all accounts ?

Go to solution

Hi, Thanks for the info, have looked at the posts, not sure whether they apply to the email addresses we have as these are not webmail accounts as far as i am aware.

We have fairly old email addresses 2 x @talk21.com ( t21.btinternet ) and 2 x  @btopenworld.com

One talk21 and one btopenworld account is not working correctly however this morning the openworld account that returns the error shown in the first post received 139 emails and then promply started returning the error message again having not changed anything. The two accounts still do not work in WLM we know there are emails to be received as the old PC running OE6 receives the emails fine on all accounts which we still have running alongside the new PC until this can be resolved. One thing I did notice when all the emails came in on the new PC was Mcafee was doing its scheduled virus scan of the PC however this I think may not be a clue as the other account still does not work. Still very confused as to where to look next for a solution. Any other ideas would be gratfully received. 

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@ChrisDSP wrote:

Hi, Thanks for the info, have looked at the posts, not sure whether they apply to the email addresses we have as these are not webmail accounts as far as i am aware.

@We have fairly old email addresses 2 x @talk21.com ( t21.btinternet ) and 2 x  @btopenworld.com

One talk21 and one btopenworld account is not working correctly however this morning the openworld account that returns the error shown in the first post received 139 emails and then promply started returning the error message again having not changed anything. The two accounts still do not work in WLM we know there are emails to be received as the old PC running OE6 receives the emails fine on all accounts which we still have running alongside the new PC until this can be resolved. One thing I did notice when all the emails came in on the new PC was Mcafee was doing its scheduled virus scan of the PC however this I think may not be a clue as the other account still does not work. Still very confused as to where to look next for a solution. Any other ideas would be gratfully received. 

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

I'm afraid that the problem has been going on like this for a number of months now, affecting different people in different ways - and as you've seen can suddenly start to work.

The accounts by default are also webmail accounts, as you can access them pretty much anywhere using a browser.

Some people have noticed that if access via pop3 (e.g. via WLM, Outlook, Thunderbird etc) isn't working, they can login to webmail to that email account, exit and a retry can often work.

However - if you say that the accounts work on an older PC, and you are running the two machines at the same time - try turning off the "automatic check emails" option. It has been seen that for some people when trying to access the same mail account with more than one device, the access fails. This seems to be more prevelant with mobile devices, but two PCs would probably cause a similar issue.

Also if you always keep all the emails on the server, this could have an impact I feel. If there are 100s or 1000s of emails, it is even possible that a mail client program such as WLM, OE6 etc could have an access problem of timing out with the server when checking for new emails. This might also have some bearing in the general case, though not by any means for everyone.

0 Ratings
ChrisDSP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Hi thanks Andy, The plot seems to thicken. I have logged onto BT Yahoo on each of the accounts and found that the two btopenworld accounts are populated with emails, one having 14558 emails and the other having 18638 emails, the 18638 is the account that is not working. Think it is time to have a mass clearout and reduce the amount of emails present maybe starting with anything older than 6 months just to see whether this will help with pos timing out issues. The other puzzling thing is the two talk21 accounts are not populated at all with both having zero in the inboxes however these are older accounts and could have even more emails sitting on the server. 

I have already turned off the auto send/recv on the old PC for fear of the two PC's fighting over emails. Do you know whether if I set delivery on the advanced tab in account properties to say 60 days this will automatically delete all old emails for me or does that only start from the day it is set ? Thanks again for all your help

0 Ratings
ChrisDSP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Hi, Update to issue, I have deleted 29,500 emails from the two btopenworld accounts and they appear to be working 95% of the time without any errors. Still have the other two accounts @talk21.com which we have no idea how many emails are present on the server as the BT Yahoo webmail accounts show that both accounts have zero emails showing yet the emails are working. Does anybody know whether this old type of email work in these accounts. Thanks again for all your help so far.

0 Ratings
Methos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
Having similar problems here...

Email password keeps coming up as incorrect on laptop, pc and phone... Even though I know it's correct and works on the Web mail service.

Only started playing up today and hoping it gets sorted soon, as logging into Web mail every time I want to check my email is a lot more annoying than the automated system on outlook or my phone

M
0 Ratings
ChrisDSP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Hi, All my accounts seem to working fine today with no intervention from me. Although this is making users think they may have setting wrong especially if like me setting up a new PC with all the accounts and getting these various error messages, makes what i thought a simple job into a 3 day marathon. Hope BT resolve these issues soon !

0 Ratings