Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ParaJack
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Wire from wooden post?

Go to solution

Hi, the wire that comes from the wooden post - across the road - to the top of the house and then down the wall and in through the wall to the master socket. Is that one long wire, or is it joined from when it hits the house and drops down?

Thanks 🙂

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
pippincp
Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Wire from wooden post?

Go to solution

There may be a junction. It may be better if you explain why you ask.

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Nobody knows without looking.  It can certainly be one long wire.  But BT junction boxes are also common where lines have been altered over the years.

0 Ratings
Icarus
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

A direct line from the DP to the NTE is preferred, less joints less things to go wrong. Although sometimes it is necessary to connect the drop wire to the lead in via a joint.

An outside joint would either be an Above Ground Dropwire Closure (looks like a black sausage). A BT66, grey box about 5 inches long and 3 inches tall or a BT16, about 3 inch squared and comes in a variety of colours.

Then there might be an internal joint box, most commonly a BT76 or BT80.

0 Ratings
ParaJack
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

OK thanks guys.

I'm asking as if all goes well Infinty is being installed tomorrow (Friday), I wish the wire coming into the house to go from outside stright through the bedroom wall and to a new master socket on that outside wall, rather than the current setup where it goes into the hall (miles away from the PC), looking outside it looks like there will need to be a bit more length on the wire for it to reach the bedroom. Is it something that can be extended with ease?

Thanks 🙂

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

If you get an engineer who knows what they are doing, yes its a simple job. You may get resistance from the engineer if they are inexperienced or unwilling to go the extra mile for you. Generally contractors fit this description.

ParaJack
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

I'm going to start off with "Hi mate, do you except bacon butties and hot chocolate as bribes?" lol 🙂 

The email I received today confirming the appointment mentioned "Your BT Infinity engineer", would it still say that if it was a contractor? 

Thanks 🙂

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
No it is a standard email it is the luck of the draw who you get
0 Ratings
ParaJack
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Well thought I'd post a quick update: The bribes worked Smiley Very Happy, he got his bacon butties and hot tea, I got my new master socket where I wanted it 🙂

Thanks 🙂