Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Wired Extension Advice

Hi,

I have Infinity but wireless connection across my house is not great.  I've tried the homeplugs, which are ok, but not for streaming BT Sport.

I've decided to add a wired ethernet extension, across the house via the loft.  This will go from my router, next to where Infinity comes into the house, through to the living room.  In the living room I'll need some equipment to put in my BT Vision box (wired connection) and I'd love wirless within that room off that equipment.

Can anyone recommend anything that'll do the job well?  My budget is up to £150.

I'm not using the BT Home Hub at the moment and use an Asus RT-N66U.  Wondering whether to get another?

Gavin

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Wired Extension Advice

What speed homeplugs are you using. 500AV should be perfect for your set-up and should stream BT Sport HD without a problem. You can also get dual band wifi devices to extend your wifi as well. That's basically my set-up and cost me less than £150 all in.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

The home plugs are AV200 by Netgear. Everything else is fine such as Iplayer. But I cannot get any success with live stream, even SD. If I run an Ethernet cable straight from router to Vision box, everything works fine.

This is my second set of homeplugs and have lost confidence a little. Perhaps it is just a speed restriction thing on the homeplugs. Typical download speed on the AV200 is about 8mb for me.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

If you run your ethernet cable as you have suggested you could then add an ethernet switch which will allow you to connect up your devices by Ethernet. If you want to add a wireless extender or a second router you could use something like the TP-Link 150Mbps Wirless N Nano Router.

This can be set up by plugging into the Ethernet switch. It supports being either an AP (default), Client, Router, Repeater and Bridge modes. They cost undr £20, an Ethernet switch costs under £10 and Ethernet cable can be bought online very cheaply in any length you want.

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

Just be aware that one or two customers have previously reported certain ethernet switches causing problems with the IPTV multicast channels over Infinity (such as BT Sport channels). If you are going to the trouble of running an ethernet cable you might consider running two side-by-side. One solely for the BT TV box and one for everything else in that location (using an ethernet switch if necessary).

Any TV service is quite a data intensive thing when you consider how many pixels/frames per second are required. Also as users of TV services we are all very unforgiving. Even just a minor hiccup or two per hour is enough to annoy most of us. We expect a perfect picture hour after hour. So the best advice for hours/days/years of trouble free multicast TV is to give the system the best possible chance with a dedicated single cable running directly from a HomeHub port to the BT TV box. You might say it's overkill, but you only have to install it once and can then hopefully forget about that part of the network.

0 Ratings