cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dleone
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Wired connection: Slow + drop outs

This thread is purely to make public the bad experience I've had the the smart hub and BT technical support.

Been using the smart hub for roughly 8 months at this point, I had 2 desktops and a PS4 console connected through Powerline adapters, Macbook, phones etc all connected through the wifi. All was good and well up until a couple weeks ago. My powerline connections seemed to become increasingly slow, by the end of september my speed test were showing 5 down and 1 up, ridiculous fibre speeds... then to top it off the hub would completely disconnect from the internet (orange light) when using the desktops. Wifi did not have the same problem and worked fine, 60+ down 20 up.

I performed multiple hard reset of the hub, but the problems persisted. I then thought, Must be a problem with the powerline adapters right? I removed all powerline adapters and bought some long ethernet cables to test my theory. The cables did not make a difference and showed identical results as the powerline equipment.

At this point i realised there must be something wrong with my hub, all of my devices (a couple of those being very expensive gaming PC's £2000+) were not working when connected through ethernet, however wifi was still working fine.

I contacted BT technical support, to which they looked into the problem remotely. They performed some line tests and told me "I can see that there is no fault with your hub", I then had to persistantly ask why is it that im having these issues then? The only solution offered then was to have an engineer attened to "check if there is a fault with your device or is it the hub" - even though I knew already it was highly unlikely all of my expensive "device"s suddenly had faulty ethernet ports, I agreed to have the engineer attend.

About 5 minutes later i recieved a text confirming the engineers date and time, and also confirmation of a possiible £130 charge for said visit. At this point i decided to cancel. I might aswell just pay £130 for a decent modem/router, i already knew that was where the problem was. So yesterday i took delivery of my Netgear Nighthawk, swapped it out plugged in my powerline adapters, and everything is working perfectly again 60+ down and 20+ on all devices. Happy Days!

So here's the bottom line of my experience, The Smart Hub appears to be problematic all round. Ive seen many complaints other than my own. Secondly, technical support trying to tell me theres nothing wrong with my router when ive already tested everything, was just an absolute joke - clear incompetance. Thirdly why on earth would I want to pay £130 for your engineers to come round and mess with my expensive PC's when its your rubbish hub that is the problem. This whole thing could have been easily fixed by just sending me a new hub, but to be honest it probably would have just failed again in another few months.

Rant over.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Wired connection: Slow + drop outs

You area bit late to the party saying that the Smart Hub is rubbish. Have a read through the forum and you will see many people have come to the same conclusion before now.

As regards your actual faulty hub, I would be interested in knowing what "tests" the Customer Service agent could do to tell you that the hub Ethernet ports were not faulty.

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 4

Don't spend £130 on a visit from an engineer, spend it on buying a 3rd party router to replace the homehub
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

@Devon_Dave wrote:
Don't spend £130 on a visit from an engineer, spend it on buying a 3rd party router to replace the homehub

He did, thats why he said " So yesterday i took delivery of my Netgear Nighthawk, swapped it out plugged in my powerline adapters, and everything is working perfectly again 60+ down and 20+ on all devices. Happy Days!"

0 Ratings