cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 36

Wireless Connection

Go to solution

I have BT Home Hub3 connected wirelessly to iMac desktop Computer.  Though my broadband connection is OK part from having to contend with local slow speed 1.0mb max, the wireless connection frequently goes off. I can reconnect fairly quickly. I recently approached BT via their chat line and they helped me change wireless chanell to No.11.

Not much better and I now notice that my iMac connects to the Home hub at 801.11g whereas connection to both BTFon and BT Openzone uis at 802.11n.

Can this be a problem and please how may I resolve?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 36

Re: Wireless Connection

Go to solution

See my guide here Wireless Help

Contributor
Message 3 of 36

Go to solution

Thanks for that Keith. I followed your link, very helpful. I would need simpler connection instructions beig a non tech.

BT Hyb Manager is not available for Mac computers 

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 36

Go to solution

Long time Mac user here.

The HH3 is not know for its quality or reliabilty. If you get a good one, they're OK. If not . . .they are a PITA. Macs are usually relatively trouble-free with wireless, so:

1   On your iMac, check to see if Airport can see any other wireless channels around you. If there are others visible, they could be interfering with your wifi and the BT support people guided you to a channel change because of that possibility. Try changing to Channel 13 and see if that helps.

2   If matters do not improve, delete all wireless setups in the Network control panel and set things up from scratch.

You do not need the Hub Manager, in fact you are better off not using anything from the BT CD on a Mac (and on PCs too, but It makes a good mat for your coffee cup though!). Just log-in to the HH3 by entering 192.168.1.254 in your browser.

If you need any help, PM me.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 36

Go to solution

You don`t need hub manager, just type http://192.168.1.254

into your web browser.

Contributor
Message 6 of 36

Go to solution

Thanks for thaty reply. I have managed to delete BT Fon and Openzone, my Mac is now connected to HH3 at 802.11n. I'll give it a while before I look at changing to channel 13-keep that up my sleeve.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 36

Go to solution

@robboz wrote:

Thanks for thaty reply. I have managed to delete BT Fon and Openzone, my Mac is now connected to HH3 at 802.11n. I'll give it a while before I look at changing to channel 13-keep that up my sleeve.

Thanks again.

If you only have wireless "n" devices, then if it is possible on the home hub 3, lock it to wireless "n" only, or do not use wireless at all. See Network connections
This gives you a much better alternative.

Contributor
Message 8 of 36

Go to solution

So far so good no downs since I made connections 802.11n at both ends.

However the power line idea for which I followed your link--are you saying place 1 powerline in wall power socket near HH3 and the second in a power socket near computer?

Use ethernet from the second power line to computer? Only mains wiring between power line sockets?  That's what the picture looks like-can it be that simple. Presently I cannot use ethernet as connecting the cable direct from HH3 to computer means going under carpets etc.  One answer would be to get a BT engineer to move Master Socket to Computer room. £££

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 36

Go to solution

@robboz wrote:

So far so good no downs since I made connections 802.11n at both ends.

However the power line idea for which I followed your link--are you saying place 1 powerline in wall power socket near HH3 and the second in a power socket near computer?

Use ethernet from the second power line to computer? Only mains wiring between power line sockets?  That's what the picture looks like-can it be that simple.

Yes its that easy Smiley Happy

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 36

Go to solution

it is that simple Smiley Wink

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings