cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frenchy646
Message 1 of 3

Wireless Dropping out

Hello.

It does seem like a usual post here, but my wireless connection constantly drops out.
However, it is only when there is a download.

I gather that I'll probably get a "try changing the channel as you're dropping out due to interference" response, however, I would like to understand why this is only happening during downloads.

Issue and Situation

• Upon attempting downloads (software patches, game patches, software download, etc), I lose my connection to the wireless 3-4 minutes after the download.
  • If I do not download, I never lose my connection.
  • The wireless will not let me connect back to it, unless I reset the router.
  • The wireless is in the room above me. It's a BT Home Hub v2.
  • If I put my computer right next to the router, I do not lose my connection to the wireless during download (hence it must be a frequency issue).
  • I have never had the issue in the past 7 months, it only suddenly happened 2 weeks ago.

As I said, I want to know why , especially why it won't let me connect back to it, as I gather I'm going to have to change the router frequency. (On a side note, given I have 7 BT wireless, 1 BTFON, 1BTOpenzone, and 3 Sky routers in range, what frequency would be best?)

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Frenchy646
Message 2 of 3

Re: Wireless Dropping out

Also, forgot to mention, when I download, and lose my connection, it isn't instant. I lose bandwidth little by little until it gets to 0, and it then disconnects me from the wireless, and won't let me connect back without a restart.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 3

Re: Wireless Dropping out

you can try downloading inssider2 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. If you then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.
  this takes the guesswork out of channel selection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings