cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaptor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Wireless Hub Connection Unreliable When Watching Video

Recently upgraded to Hub 2.0 with hub phone.  Since the upgrade, usually when watching video, the hub drops the connection.  Sometimes I can reconnect from the pc by disconnecting and then reconnecting, but mostly I have to reset the hub. This never happened on Hub 1.0 (which was on Option 1) but has always happened on Hub 2.0 (on Option 3).

I am running Windows 7 on a new laptop with IEEE 802.11n. The signal strength is 'good'.

Anything I can check out?

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
shawad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: Wireless Hub Connection Unreliable When Watching Video

I've had the same problem for months - BT's response was it couldn't possibly be their equipment, it must be that ALL of my 4 wireless-n WiFi Alliance CERTIFIED devices must be faulty, or the channel (despite InSSIDer saying nothing else was using channel 4).  The last suggestion was to turn off wireless-n...

Eventually got them to replace the Type A hub with a Type B and surprise surprise I've not had the disconnect since.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 12

I would suggest that you check to see if you get the same problem with a wired connection, It could be interference on the wireless, by using a different hub at default they could be on different wireless channels.

Download inSSIDer this will show you a graph of other wireless routers in your area and what channels they are using

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Shaptor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Thanks for the tips. According to inSSIDer there are two other wireless access points using the same channels (9 to 13) on 802.11n; BTFON and BTOpenzone.  These are presumably neighbours' devices. The signal strength shows that from time to time all three wireless signals are running at -70dBm. My hub is usually running at -60dBm, but dips for a few seconds every minute or so.  This presumably will cause interference if I'm streaming a video and cause a loss of signal and a reset?

Question is therefore how can I boost the signal from the hub and/or change to a different channel setting?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

They are both coming from your hub and shouldn't cause you a problem.  You can opt out of btfon and there are posts on the forum which explain just use search

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Shaptor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Just noticed the MAC addresses of all three devices are the same!  Is the hub multi-personality?

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
Shaptor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Well if there are no interfering devices and the hub is providing a good signal between -60 and -70 dBm, is there another reason for the problem?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
Shaptor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Thanks shawad. Just checked and this is a Type B.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 12

BTFON and BTOpenzone are both being broadcast by your own hub. See http://www.btfon.com/

You can opt out of BT Fon if you want to.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 12

If you want to change the wireles channel on a HH 2 click Here

You say that your HH is on channel 9-13, best to check the results in the table rather than the graph, I suspect the hub is on channel 11 as that is prob the centre point on the graph.

I suggest you change to a lot lower channel. maybe CH 1, although it can be a case of changing channels, trying it, if not change it again.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings