cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tubbs
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Wireless Intermittent Slow - Faulty Router?

My wireless devices sometimes get a very slow broadband speed even though the wireless signal looks good, and the wired broadband signal on other devices is good.

Could it be a faulty router?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Wireless Intermittent Slow - Faulty Router?

Have you tried changing the wireless channel?

0 Ratings
JoshJ
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Hi tubbs,

There are a number of things that could be impacting the performance of the WiFi such as the number of devices connected to your hub, interference from other hubs and/or devices in your area, a faulty hub or a problem with the network (unlikely if a wired connection is working fine).

I would recommend power cycling the hub first (if you havem't already done so) as this resolves a number of issues. If that does not work then you can look at changing the channel that the hub operates on (this is set to auto by default) instructions on how to do this can be found here.

It may also be worthwhile splitting the frequency band on your hub so that you can choose which to connect too. By default these bands are joined together and the device and hub work together to decide which to put you on. The two bands are 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz - 2.4Ghz is better for when you are further away from the hub but provide slower speeds and the 5Ghz band is better for when you are closer and provides the best speed.

As a side note, not all devices will support the 5Ghz band. If you do decide to split the bands and notice that your device cannot pick up the second network then this may be due to your device not supporting a 5Ghz connection. Instructions on how to split the bands can be found here.

Just remember WiFi speeds will vary as there are a number of things that can impact on the performance. If none of the above work then it may be worthwhile performing a factory reset of your hub, this is done by pushing a pin or paper clip into the factory reset hole on the back of the hub for 20 seconds.

If you continue to have problems then you might want to run some checks on your broadband connection which can be done by clicking here and then clicking on "Repair my broadband". One of the moderators will also be able to assist further or you can contact BT via live chat or by calling 0800 800 150.

All the best,

JoshJ

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

As well as the above posts one of the first things to do is make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Homehub.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

0 Ratings
tubbs
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Thanks. I took your advice on switching smart setup off. But I didnt ever notice it coming up with new devices.

My feeling its either a faulty router, too many devices or even DNS issues.

eg Factory reset does not work on my router.

0 Ratings