cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Wireless Password

I am new to BT as an ISP and encountering a lot of problems with download speeds.  For a start could someone please tell me where in the Home Hub 4 Manager I can change my wireless password (Not the admin password) I thought I had changed it but can't now find where it is. Any help appreciated.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Wireless Password

Log on to the Homehub http://bthomehub.home/ and go to Settings > Wireless set up > Encryption Key

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Many thanks but all I can find is Advanced Settings>Wireless Key (WPA & WPA2). Is that it please?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Yes. It should be about 10 digits long and is the wireless passkey shown on the label on the Homehub. If you change it you will need to keep a note of it and you will need to reconnect any wireless devices that presently connect to your hub.

Why are you changing it, do you have a problem with it?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

I am having terrible problems with varying download speed between 15 Mbps and .03 Mbps. I have only been with BT for 16 days and BT can't help. "One of those things" they say. I assume that the password allocated on the back of the router is a one off but as there are four other full strength connections shown in the Network Sharing Centre (Presumably neighbours) I wondered if someone was using my bandwidth so wanted to change the password. Any thoughts? Thanks for your reply. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

It is very unlikely that somebody has cracked your wireless passkey so I would not change it.

Try a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. This will restore everything back to how the Homehub was when you first reveived it.

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

I presume you have ADSL (Normal) broadband and not Infinity (FTTC). So I will move your post onto the ADSL board where you will get assistance.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

BT Availability Checker 2.JPG

Thank you for all your help. I am attaching the results of those tests and all looks good to me.  The trouble is that at anytime my download speed will drop to 2 Mbps or even .03 Mbps and to the point where I can not access a website to even do a speed test.  This happened at about midnight last night but could be anytime during the day.  BT helpfully say "it is one of those things" but I can be without a useful connection for several hours. I reset the Home Hub a couple of days ago but it didn't make any difference. I am also attaching the Event Log but don't understand what I am looking for here. I am connected by a filter to the master socket but there is another socket in the house with a filter. I did the quiet line test and the corded phone sounded a little bit wolley but the cordless phones were absolutely silent.BT Event Log 14.11.14.JPG

BT Speed Test 14.11.14.JPGBT Test Results 14.11.14.JPG

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

plesae delete your number from the adsl checker for your own security

when you say connection slow are you using wifi as against a wired connection?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Thanks for reminding me about the number.  I have removed it and don't think it was up there long enough for anyone to notice.  I am on a wired connection.

0 Ratings