Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ProjectGal
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Wireless Printing

Go to solution

I have BT Hub5 which, until now, I have used to connect to the Internet from my Microsoft Surface 2. I have been able to print on my HP printer wirelessly from my tablet and via the USB cable from my Dell Windows XP laptop. I do not connect to the Internet from my laptop.

I now wish to print wirelessly from the laptop as well. I have managed to connect to my BT Hub5 wireless network from my laptop but cannot connect the printer to the laptop wirelessly.

I have tried to add the printer using the Windows XP Wizard. When it asks me to specify the printer, I have checked "Connect to a printer on the Internet or ona home or office network"and entered the printer's IP Address it the URL box but get the following message@ Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer haslost its connection to the server. For more information, click Help."

Clicking Help is no use at all.

I am trying to do this in preparation for prchasing a new print which I should like to site too far from my laptop to connect physically.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong, please?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Wireless Printing

Go to solution

You may find that if it is a relatively new printer Windows XP, which is getting long in the tooth, may not have the correct drivers for the printer. If you have a look on the printers website you may be able to get the drivers for XP.

If you are buying a new printer you may have the same problem with that.

0 Ratings
ProjectGal
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks but I should have siad that I can print from my laptop when it is connected to my printer via the USB port. I just cannot do so wirelessly

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

What make and model of printer is it?

Presumably this gets an IP address from the Home Hub via DHCP. Is there a display on the printer that would tell you what the IP address is? If so then make sure you have IP connectivity first using ping to that IP address from the laptop.

Regards

0 Ratings
ProjectGal
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Many thanks for your response.

The printer is an HP Officejet 4500 Wireless.

I have just pinged it from the laptop and it replied.

0 Ratings
ProjectGal
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Apologies, I am not sure that I responded as fully as I should have done.

I have been able to access the print IP address from the printer itself. I pinged that address from the laptop and it responded.

0 Ratings
geaves
Expert
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Long time since I used XP but this used to a PIA.....however this is the solution, not idea why but this always resolved adding network printers to XP. I would also ensure thats you enabled the printer to always use the same ip address in hub's config menu.

Good luck Smiley Happy

ProjectGal
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

geaves

THank you so very much. It worked. I cannot thank you enough.

0 Ratings
ProjectGal
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Just wanted to add that the wireless printing continued to work flawlessly.

In case anyone is interested, I did not have similar problems with the new Brother Laser printer I bought. That was a dream to set up.

0 Ratings