Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 16

Wireless Roaming with more than one access point

Go to solution

Dear All,

I am trying to set up roaming access points around my home. My main router is the Hub 3 and what I am doing is setting the SSID and channel i want on the hub 3 then setting the same SSID on the additional access point (WNR1000v3) and disabling DHCP on the additional access point and setting a static IP and a different channel to the one  on the hub 3. 

The problem I am getting is that my devices (android smartphone and tablet) will either only connect to one of the access points when I am near it and then when I go to the area that the hub 3 is in it drops the connection.

I want to know why this is happening because at another house where I work I have additional access points broadcasting the same SSID as the home hub 2! which works. 

Please could someone tell me why this is happening and what I can do to prevent it.

Many Thanks,

Dominic

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Wireless Roaming with more than one access point

Go to solution

It will not work with the home hub 3 version B, as the same device cannot connect to the  Ethernet and wireless segments of the home hub.

Alternative suggestions are on this link.

Wireless connection problems

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply Keith, 

But why does it not allow for Roaming?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

@dombullion wrote:

But why does it not allow for Roaming?

There is an internal Ethernet switch which routes the Ethernet frames to a specific device MAC address, via the wireless module, or the LAN ports, but not both.

Once a device MAC address appears on the LAN side, all frames are routed to that interface, until the physical interface is disconnected.

That prevents the same MAC address connecting to the wireless interface.

Universal wireless repeaters do not have that problem, as all connections take place on the wireless interface.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

HI Keith,

I have also been having an issue where if I set up another access point with a different SSID and channel to the one on the hub it will only allow connection to one of the networks.

For example if I connect to the hub ssid "WAP" in this case and set up another access point with the SSID "WAP2" it will only sometimes allow connection to one of the networks via wireless devices. 

Is this setup still going to cause problems or will it work if I set up access points with different ssid's and channels to the one implemented on the hub3.

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

If you have a home hub 3b, the problem will still be there. Once the hub sees a MAC address on its Ethernet interface, it will not route traffic for that device, to its wireless connection.

The channel and SSID do not matter, it the physical MAC address of the wireless device which is stored.

The only thing which does work, are Universal Wireless repeaters, because all devices present their MAC address to the wireless interface.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

Can you recommend any good universal wireless repeaters that you may have tried or that you think are good. 

Also, what is the difference between a hub3a and a hub3b.

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

Take a look at these instructions, I have three of these, and other people use them as well.

TP-Link WA701ND

Version 2 is now the current version.

As for the differences between the home hub 3 versions, I do not know, apart from the fact that they are made by different manufacturers.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution
Using a 2nd access point has no impact on the HH3 wifi at all. It only connects via Ethernet.
I have a 2nd AP setup in this way with a HH3b. APs are also known as wifi bridges as they 'bridge' wifi to Ethernet.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

Ok,

But as keith said there are issues with MAC addresses and AP's connected via ethernet.

The only way is to use a "universal wireless repeated" that works via WDS.

0 Ratings