I am confused!
I have BT Infinity ‘Fibre to the cabinet’ with a normal download speed of ‘ Up to 40 Mb’. Indeed, from the start it was certainly very close to this, even on wireless, and if I blinked I didn’t notice the update to pages.
Last week I noticed a delay in updates/connections to web-sites, so ran the BT Speedtest. I got results for downloads varying from 2.5Mb to 11 Mb. For some reason the results seem to show connections of less than 10Mb as ‘Good’ which I don’t agree is good, considering what I am paying for! This was using my wireless connection from BT Home Hub 3, which had previously given me the fast speeds as in paragraph one above.
When I connected my lap-top via Ethernet cable to the Home Hub, the results were much better (in the 35-39 Mb range). Strangely, the results no longer show the speed ‘from the exchange’, but only show ‘good’.
I have done resets of the Modem and the Home Hub, as suggested from the help pages, but am still getting download speeds much less than when I was on Broadband Option 1, using the basic ADSL connection.
It seems to me that the problem is in my Home Hub 3 and its wireless connection, as if I go to Ethernet and crouch in a corner with my laptop then connection is fine, but this is not what I want as I use wireless predominately.
I have not moved any equipment and not imported any new electronics to my house, so just what is going on?
I have examined the wireless channels in use in my area and have tried most of them and settled on channel 7, as no other users and only one overlapping.
You may wonder why I have not called the Helpline? Simply because when I was on non-Infinity Broadband I did so and spent hours on the phone to pleasant people who promised to sort it out and call me back, all that happened in two months was that my download speed fell to 14K and I didn’t get called back. It was only when I requested a MAC that I was transferred to someone in England who sorted it more or less instantly.
I don’t want to leave BT, as for the past year or so I have had excellent connections with Infinity.
After the resets and tests I have done, I conclude that the problem is my Wireless from my BT Home Hub 3. I am running Windows 7 on my Desktops and connecting to the Home Hub with D-Link DWA-140 Wireless N USB Adapters (rev.B3). My laptop runs Vista with a 150 Mb mini in a USB socket, but gets same speeds on Wireless
Expert advice please!!
Solved! Go to Solution.
If the slower speed is only on wireless and on more than one device the problem is most likely wireless interference or possibly a faulty homehub.
The first thing to try is a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. This can often sort out problems.
If the speeds don't improve, download a Wifi Analyser app for you smartphone if you have one or use the free version of inSSider from forum member Keith Beddoe's website here
It will show you the wireless channels and which one your Homehub is on. I know you had previously selected channel 7 but the factory reset will have changed that. You want to find the channel with the least congestion, ie. least number of users. Once you have that you need to change your homehub onto that channel. If there are no clear channels try channel 13. This is rarely used as most routers don't select that automatically.
See link how to change channel on homehub
Thanks for your suggestions.
I have already used inSSider for a while to view what is broadcasting near me.
I did a factory reset and then tried different channels, but no improvement. I cannot see any very strong signals either co-channel or overlapping.
Unfortunately, the circumstances would confirm my suspicions in that it is a problem with my Home Hub 3, as when my laptop is connected via Ethernet, I get about 38 Mbs (on a six year old laptop running Vista Home Premium), but if I go to Wireless, I get between 2 Mbs or less and at best, 11 Mbs download speed.
When I have connections on to my FoxSat receiver, I can watch catch-up TV, but on my PC's - forget it :-((
I did disconnect all Ethernet connections when testing wireless, 'just in case'.
Any further suggestions please? Would not want to spend hours on phone to India (as last time when I had problems with ADSL).
Thanks for help.
You could check that the drivers on your computer network cards are up to date. Use the card manufacturers website rather than Windows which can be out of date.
As you are getting good speed connected by Ethernet and it is only the wireless connections that are having the problem it is obviously not your broadband that is the problem.
The fault lies with the homehub. If it were me I would buy a decent third party router. They can be got for not a lot of money and even the most basic ones will probably out perform the BT Homehubs.
Thanks gg30340, for your advice.
Quite by chance I had arrived at the conclusion re drivers at about the same time you sent your message suggesting the same.
My wife’s PC had just been returned from our local (5 mins walk away) PC shop, as problems I couldn't resolve (turned out to be a failing SDD drive) and so we were involved in reloading software
We used the supplied installation CD for the D-Link DWA 140 and as soon as back on line, ran a speedtest and found download speed on the wireless back to 39 Mbs so I thought it would be a good idea to remove/reload software and drivers on my machine. It was! Mine is now back to speed - next job, my laptop.
I will now be very wary of accepting Driver Update's offers.
Thanks again and good to know that there are such knowledgeable persons as yourself on the forum.