cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mandolin
Message 1 of 8

Wireless connection- Linux

I have BT broadband at home and have had two wireless connections working fine. Last week my laptop died and I have replaced it with a netbook which is running ubuntu on linux.

I am unable to connect through the wireless but can use the cable no problem (other PC still ok).

I was told that the hub doesn't support Linux....why not? How hard can it be? Does anyone know of a way around it?

Finally, I have signed up for BT FON as I thought I could use the netbook when out and about, will this not be an option either?

Any help greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
TaRkA
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Wireless connection- Linux

I can assure you that the hub will not reject a wireless connection on the basis of the operating system the client machine is running.

All you might have to do is install the correct drivers, I use madwifi drivers (atheros chipset card) and can connect to any hotspot I know the key for.

Try getting the wireless key you know is correct, remove all history from the machine of the wireless hotspot and then try and connect again.

Also, can you confirm if it is seeing the network, and when does it stop trying to connect? Or does it sit there continually trying to connect and doing nothing?

mandolin
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the reply.

It does recongnise the hub, when I put in the password details it still doesn't connect although I don't get message saying so.

I will try to check the drivers, see if that helps.

Seems strange that BT would simply try to just fob me off by telling me it couldn't be done.

0 Ratings
Sandy_P
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Linux will work on the Home Hubs, its just that things like BT Desktop Help and the Install CD aren't compatible with it.

I use a netbook with Linpus Lite and it connects just fine.

Suspect you'll need to do the obvious...

* Make sure the wireless is physically switched on (which it sound like you've done)

* Make sure you're setting up a WPA connection (if you're using a Hub 2.0)

* And the updated drivers as previously suggested -- may be worth lowering the Hub 2.0 wireless to just operate in b/g mode if the netbook only has a g wireless adapter; that will tell you definitively whether the drivers need to be updated to work on a b/g/n network.

* May also need to restart the netbook with the ethernet cable unplugged so that the wireless can pick up the IP address from the Hub.

* On my netbook, I found that sometimes when coming out of hibernate mode, the wireless didn't reconnect too well; this seems to have been resolved in subsequent netbook updates, but that could also be an issue which would require a restart of the netbook.

TaRkA
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

I think they fobbed you off as they simply dont know.

Only basic training will be provided so they can deal with certain Micro**bleep**e operating systems, maybe a little training on MAC osx seeing as they have something like 20% of the market right now.

Linux is always seen as a 'if you have it you know what you are doing' system, plus there are so many varients you couldnt train advisors on how to deal with them.

0 Ratings
GrumpyBob
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Another source of information would be the Ubuntu Forums at ubuntuforums.org
0 Ratings
StevenLangdale
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Hello The netbook came with Linux pre-installed?

If thats the case I'd say the wifi card driver is OK and doesn't need looking at yet.

As the netbook can see the HH but wont connect, I'd be inclined to drop the security down to WEP and a 64Bit key just to see if it will connect.

Try that and see what happends

Failing that, we'll start looking at log files.

Steven

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

If you are using an Asus EeePC, there were issues if you used a wireless key which has spaces in it. Try changing the wireless key to something shorter, making sure that there are no spaces or non-alphanumeric characters in it. Its possible other Linux distributions have the same problem.
0 Ratings