cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ev_Sol
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Wireless connection drops & only fixed by router reboot

I've been having this issue pretty much since getting BT broadband with the HomeHub5.  

The problem seems to occur randomly and what happens is that the wireless signal seems to disappear.  Any devices that are connected to the 5g signal (which I have put onto a separate SSID as part of my investigations) remain connected, as do those connected via a wire.  They continue to have access to the internet.  All other devices are unable to connect to the standard Wifi signal.  The solution is to reboot the router.

The problem seems to happen more frequently when my AppleTV is connected to the network (via cable) - but I have seen the problem happen without the AppleTV so know this is not the problem.  I also have a D-Link wireless extender device which gets disconnected when the signal disappears.  I wondered if this was causing the problem, but have replaced with a newer model and the same thing happens.

The strange thing to note is that sometimes when the router is rebooted and I look at the config page to see devices connected, I sometimes see strange MAC addresses.  For example my iPhone has Mac address 40:33:1a:45:03:09 and registers IP 192.168.1.241.  I can also see a 2nd entry on the web page for my Iphone, but this time with Mac address 54:b8:0a:45:03:09 and IP 192.168.1.72.  The D-link wireless extender has Mac addr 54:b8:0a:14:8a:4d and IP 192.168.1.70.  As you can see, one of the 2 registrations for my iPhone is a mixture of the iPhone MAC and the Dlink MAC.  I've looked in the logs on the router but can't spot anything other than the disconnection of the bogus device.

I've raised this issue with Dlink, but they have said the problem is with the router, having replaced my wireless extender with a different model to the same effect.  I've raised a fault on your site - VOL053-************* - but the online diagnosis doesn't let you provide any details - hence here they are.

This is really frustrating now - it can happen several times a day, when I am home, when it's not being used (although there are devices connected) etc.  Is there anything I can do to diagnose this further?  Is it possible there is a fault with my router?  I have also looked at wireless channels and various other things suggested in these forums to no avail.

Any ideas appreciated.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Wireless connection drops & only fixed by router reboot

For your security please delete volume number

Have you tried a factory reset of the hub?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Ev_Sol
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Wireless connection drops & only fixed by router reboot

Hi, yes it's been factory reset and like I said I've tried various config changes as suggested on the forum.  The more I think about it, the more it feels like a problem with the 2.4Ghz wifi as it is always this that drops, the 5Ghz continues to work fine.  I have removed one by one the wirless devices on my network and none of them appear to be the problem.  Is it feasible that it's faulty hardware/router?

0 Ratings