Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Wireless connection problem, Hub 3, Sky Wireless Adapter and Humax HDR 1000S

Go to solution

Anyone able to help this new arrival from Sky please, looking to obtain TV On Demand through a Humax HDR 1000S, Hub 3 and Sky Wireless Adapter (which carries only a MAC identification and Serial number, with no known passcode).

Historically, On Demand has been obtained through the Humax, a Sky router and the Sky Wireless Adapter.

I am aware of a Humax USB Wi-Fi dongle which the John Lewis web site says "allows you to connect your Humax HDR FOX T2 or HDR-1000S to your home network wirelessly" but I have not yet established that it would be compatible with the Hub 3.

Being an oldie, can you save me from too much technical mumbo jumbo, please!!! 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Wireless connection problem, Hub 3, Sky Wireless Adapter and Humax HDR 1000S

Go to solution

I would not waste you money buying a Wireless dongle, as its not likely to give very good results, due to poor bandwidth and interference.

It would be better to use Powerline adapters.

What are powerline devices and how do they work?

There is also some setup info which should help, if yours is this model.

Humax Foxsat

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Re: Wireless connection problem, Hub 3, Sky Wireless Adapter and Humax HDR 1000S

Go to solution
Much appreciated, Keith. Mine is NOT a Humax Foxsat but POSSIBLY that setup info might be equally applicable. Hopefully someone will yet respond who has a similar setup to mine.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

The Powerline adapters info should be helpful.

The TP-LINK PA211KIT AV200 are quite popular, and not expensive.

Ideally, running a direct Ethernet cable would be the best option, if that is practical.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks, again, Keith. Unfortunately it is not practical to run a direct Ethernet cable from the Hub 3 to the Humax personal video recorder - no more than four metres but an ugly inconvenience.

I will take a look at the TP-LINK PA211KIT AV200, my assumption being that it would be nothing more demanding than a plug-and-play function, one of the pair linking to the Hub 3 and the other to the pvr.

I did try an Ethernet cable last night, between the Hub 3 and the pvr, but it was 'dead' - presumably because configuration would be required for the two products to recognise each other.

The On Demand services for catch-up TV are certainly 'here to stay' so I had best work out the most cost-effective route (with your proposal for a popular pair of Powerlione adapters an admirable suggestion).
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

BT vision and BT YouView use Powerline adapters, and they work fine.

I have a couple of the TP Link ones which I use to extend the Ethernet to the garage, in the summertime.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Just a quick update to advise that my efforts to obtain the On Demand services have gone 'on hold' in the knowledge gained in a Humax community forum that the manufacturer of the HDR 1000S apparently had an issue with On Demand and was working to resolve it.  The intention was "to update the box with an over the air broadcast as soon as possible." 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

If you do need any more help from this community, then please ask, there is usually someone around Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Here is an update - as a former Sky subscriber able to access both the BBC iPlayer and the ITV iPlayer with the Sky Wireless Adapter - further to considering how best to access the two iPlayers now that I have a BT Hub 3, BT Broadband and a Humax HDR 1000S.

I have followed the advice in this message thread (especially indebted to Keith Beddoe) and bought a TP-LINK PA211KIT AV200; it was ordered online on Saturday afternoon and this afternoon, Tuesday, I have been able to watch a one-hour long programme on each of the iPlayers, with problem-free set-up and reception.

Using separate and free wall sockets, one of the powerline adapters has been connected to the Hub 3, the other to the Humax.   Two Ethernet cables were supplied, one being used to link the powerline adapter to the Hub 3 and the other to link the powerline adapter to the Humax.   

All I needed to do was to switch-on at each of the two wall sockets and select On Demand on my TV screen, choose one of the two currently available iPlayers on the Freesat service and decide which programme to watch from the past week.   After a further hour of miscellaneous On Demand viewing, all seems still to be functioning satisfactorily.

The help given in this forum is much appreciated and I look forward to much further use of the On Demand facility on my TV through the combined strengths of the BT Broadband service, the BT Home Hub 3, Freesat and the Humax HDR 1000S.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

I am pleased that you have it all sorted now Smiley Happy

0 Ratings