cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
louey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Wireless drops out when phone is used

I upgraded to BT infinity unlimited a couple of months ago. Since then I've noticed that the wireless connection drops out every time the phone is used (not when it rings, only when its answered). It automatically reconnects (even if you are still on the phone) but then will disconnect again when you hang up.

All the suggestions seem to be to check the filters but then I've just read that you don't need a filter if you have infinity.

The engineers didn't come into the house when they did the upgrade.

Is there an obvious solution (for a non-techy person) or do I need to get onto BT. And if so, does anyone have any idea what the problem might be so I don't get fobbed off?

Thanks

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Wireless drops out when phone is used

It could be interference that is causing the problem. If it a cordless phone try moving it further away from the Homehub.

0 Ratings
louey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 24

It does it with any of the phones in the house, whether they are close or far away from the home hub. They are all cordless.

I've just noticed on the main website that infinity customers are given home hub 5 - we still have home hub 3, it wasn't changed when they did the upgrade. Could that be the problem?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

No, the Homehub 3 works ok with Infinity. Where is the cordless phone base station, if it is close the home hub that could be the problem. Try moving it.

If you have tried moving it and the problem is still there you could try turning off "Smart Wireless" on the homehub. Download, install and run inSSider. It will show you the wireless channels and which one your Homehub is on. You want to find the channel with the least congestion, ie. least number of users. Once you have that you need to change your homehub onto that channel. This will also have the effect of turning off "smart wireless"

See link for insider. Use the free version.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

See link how to change channel on homehub

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14094

0 Ratings
louey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 24

Cordless base station is a long way away from the home hub.

I will try your next suggestion - thank you.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 24

I just re-read your post. If the engineer did not come into your house and you have a homehub 3, how was the white Openreach modem installed or was it an upgrade fron Infinity to Infinity and not from normal broadband to Infinity?

0 Ratings
louey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 24

It was an upgrade from infinity 1 (I think) to unlimited. The home hub is a couple of years old (at least). I can't remember when we had it installed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 24

That's fine I was just a initially confused about the "upgrade". The Homehub 3 should work OK  and many people feel it is better than the Homehub 5 and in particular the wireless part of it.

0 Ratings
louey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 24

Ok, I've installed inssider- there doesn't seem to be any other channels overlapping but I changed it to channel 6 and then 11 to see if it made any difference. It didn't. There is a nice gap in the signal when I use the phone which then restarts quite quickly.

Any other suggestions?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 24

That sound like a faulty phone or base unit. The phones transmit in the 1880 - 1900 MHz, band, they should not interfere with wifi, unless they are faulty, and the internal circuitry is generating wideband noise.

Which phones are they?

Is the base station plugged intothe master socket, via a microfilter?

Does the Internet connection drop if you use an Ethernet connection instead of wireless, as this would indicate a wiring fault.

0 Ratings