cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 24

Re: Wireless drops out when phone is used

Its a panasonic KX-TG8564  - its less than a year old. The base station is plugged into a socket via a filter (not sure if its a microfilter - how do you tell?)

All my computers are wireless apart from one which now doesn't work. My tv is however wired in via an ethernet cable - I just tested a youtube video while making a call and it briefly stopped and then restarted again. The same pause also disconnected my citrix remote office application on my computer. 

The thing is that it was all working fine until BT upgraded the infinity package. It may of course be coincidence. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 24

If you are using a filter, then your Infinity has not been wired up correctly. Try plugging the phone base station into the bottom socket of the Infinity NTE, no filter needed there.

Has your Infinity Installation been wired correctly?

The fact that its affecting Ethernet connnections as well, would point to an incorrectly wired installation, where there are extensions sockets incorrectly connected before the master socket.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 24

I've plugged the master phone directly into bottom openreach socket (ie the socket which connects directly to the openreach box.) I assume that's what you mean? Still makes no difference. There are no other phones plugged into the phone line - that's the only one. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 24

Oh and it may be the broadband not the wireless (although it has the same effect) as when i just tried to load this website it was giving me a broadband error but showing the wireless as still active. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 24

Was your installation wired correctly as shown on my diagram? With the bottom section of the master socket removed, see if the extensions are wired to the back of it.

Also, with the bottom section removed, all extensions should be dead.

If that is not the case, then you have wires teed in before the master socket, and that can cause disconnections and slow Infinity speed as well.

This should have been checked during the installation of Infinity.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 24

As far as I can tell yes. I know the wiring is complicated because everytime we have someone out to do something, they all scratch their heads.

Basically the main (first) socket comes in through the garage into the office. The socket we use for the main phone is near the front door and I'm not sure where that comes off but its defintely not the first one into the house as it confuses the engineers everytime.

We recently converted another room into an office (next door to the old one) and had the infinity socket moved but I've just checked the old socket and there is no line there any more so that was disconnected. That means that as far as I can tell, the infinity socket is the first one in the house. 

We have no issues with speed and no issues with disconnections other than when the phone is used. The disconnections aren't linked to the infinity socket being moved as it happened some months later. 

Any other suggestions?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 24

Do you have an ordinary wired phone you can try, to see if that does the same thing?  That will prove whether  its the phone causing the problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 24

Yes, just plugged it in. Still disconnects. Argh 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 24

Bumping in case someone has another suggestion before I contact BT

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 20 of 24

Your Infinity is wired up incorrectly, you need an Openreach engineer to attend to fix it.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings