cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Wireless drops

Hi, i have a BT Homehub 2.0 set up in my living room, it has a filter attached and all lights are blue, in my bedroom about 10metres away i have my personal computer which is connected via wireless Netgear 600 wireless dual band usb adapter (wnda3100) when i now turn on my pc my wireless net on my PC connects fine, but if i engage any large internt activity such as downloading a game via steam of around 5gig in size it begins downloading goes up to my peak download rate for about 10-15mins then will drop, i receive a message on my browser saying cannot connect to homehub, but all the lights on my homehub are fine and even in the available network connections it is still listed as available, if i try to click connect it wont reconnect again until i restart the hub.

my wireless adapter has the latest drivers, there is only a phone connected to the hub, no other device.

hope ive provided enough info, any help would be appreciated its driving me nuts!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Wireless drops

welcome to the forum

did you try searching the forum for 'problem downloading large files' ?  this has been posted before and here is one on many others which may help  http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Wireless-keeps-dropping-when-transferring-file...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

You are probably overloading the wireless link, its best to use an alternative method of connection if you want to download large files, especially using Steam, which is a P2P application which opens multiple connections.

See Network connections

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

i had downloaded things fine on steam before was odd that it just started playing up, i read alot of helpful threads on the forums and changed my router channel from 2 to 5 which since 3pm (is now 6:07pm) hasnt dropped connection and finished downloading the 5gig.

fingers crossed its going to run smooth from here on but i shall look through the link you provided above for additional ideas

thanks for the support guys 🙂

0 Ratings