Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spooksman
Contributor
Message 20 of 276

Re: BT Infinity Wireless Problems

Go to solution
As I posted somewhere else, I believe I am seeing a trend that 'Type A' HH3's are prone to wireless issues - is yours a Type A?

Might be a total red herring, but there do seem to be a lot of issues with wireless and the HH3.

G
0 Ratings
Highlighted
lakisc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 276

Go to solution

How do you tell if it is type A? I've only had it for 3-4 months, so I'm not sure

0 Ratings
spooksman
Contributor
Message 22 of 276

Go to solution

When you log into the management tool for the HH3 it will say at the bottom of the page, just near the BT logo. Something like:

"Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.57.1.3 (Type A) | Time and date 06:43 04/12/11"

G

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 23 of 276

Go to solution

@spooksman wrote:

When you log into the management tool for the HH3 it will say at the bottom of the page, just near the BT logo. Something like:

"Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.57.1.3 (Type A) | Time and date 06:43 04/12/11"

G

HomeHub 3 Manager http://bthomehub.home/html/home/home.html

See message #28 and 30 in THIS THREAD.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
spooksman
Contributor
Message 24 of 276

Go to solution

Hi

Yes, I read those previously, but am really none the wiser - our HH3 definitely has 'suspect' wireless connectivity - just occasionally knocking my son's or wife's laptops off the wireless - a simple channel change sorts it. It *never* knocks my laptop off, or the media centre one. This is the same if the router is set to g or N. I have been through every iteration of channels, wires, fixed IP etc.

All these devices worked 100% with the Netgear I had before, although that was only g.

If I had the cash spare, I'd buy another router tomorrow, but sadly that isn't an option.

G

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 25 of 276

Go to solution

@spooksman wrote:

Hi

Yes, I read those previously, but am really none the wiser - our HH3 definitely has 'suspect' wireless connectivity - just occasionally knocking my son's or wife's laptops off the wireless - a simple channel change sorts it. It *never* knocks my laptop off, or the media centre one. This is the same if the router is set to g or N. I have been through every iteration of channels, wires, fixed IP etc.

All these devices worked 100% with the Netgear I had before, although that was only g.

If I had the cash spare, I'd buy another router tomorrow, but sadly that isn't an option.

G

So just think if you only had "my laptop and the media centre one" then you wouldn't have any probs.... Smiley Happy

But you have other equipment that is experiencing intermittant wireless connectivity probs so....

It's a good reference having a couple of "good" machines to work from....

Are the good ones from the same manufacturer and the others from a different?

Are the good ones in one area/part of your house... if so can you, for test reasons, try the bad ones for a while in this good area?

Interference issues in one/some areas?

Just for testing could you try another wireless n adapter in one of the bad machines?

I use THIS TYPE in all my laptops/PC.

Any differences you can think of between the good and bad machines?

The WiFi killers link in this might be interesting.- http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/367672/whats-killing-your-wi-fi

Positioning the HH3 as high as possible and as central as possible may help.- 

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/wirelesstips.aspx

Btw I am just using good and bad in a fault finding sense.... not criticizing at all.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
kristian99
Contributor
Message 26 of 276

Go to solution
Mine keeps doing this on my iPad and Xbox and the software says type a
0 Ratings
kristian99
Contributor
Message 27 of 276

Go to solution
After advice on here I contacted the mods who told me I just have to keep changing my wireless channels as something has changed in my environment the only thing that has changed in my environment is that I had bt infinity installed, Bt infinity is a joke I have had previous broadband and never had to keep changing wireless channels how can they tell me there is no problem with the home hub
0 Ratings
spooksman
Contributor
Message 28 of 276

Go to solution

Hi PC, thanks for that - there are loads of answers to your questions, but everything always points back to the HH3 being a poor WiFi router.

Wireless we have:

4 x laptops (Dell, Dell, Samsung & Sony) - all Win7

3 x Android phones (All HTC) - two stock and one CM7

1 x MediaCentre PC (Acer) - Win7

1 x Xbox 360

Wired

1 x Vodafone Suresignal

1 x NAS (WD)

1 x Xbox 360

When my son's friend come round we normally add a few more laptops (of various makes), a couple if iPhones, an iPod Touch and an Android phone. When they are all logged in - no problems at all (see below).

For reference:

• All the equipment has run fine before with other routers, just not on 'n'.
  • There is no channel conflict (I have checked) and there are no wireless issues/interference (again I have checked and it would affect more than one device).
  • Symptons only show themselves when another device adds itself to the wirelss network - adding a new one will *sometimes* cause one of the other devices to have an issue - they can see the SSID, just not connect anymore. It is normally the Sony and the Samsung that have the issue first - but it is fairly random. I think the issues arises as they request an IP - my laptop is always on, so doesn't do that often.
  • I have tried another (USB) device in the laptops and it makes no difference
  • A reboot of the router lets all devices play happily together and they remain working fine.
  • A change of channel (say from 8 to 7) allows all devices to connect and work happily. Changing the channel instantly back to 8 also allows all devices to play together nicely.
  • I have checked and played with most of the settings on the HH3 - only 'N', wide DHCP ranges, fixed IPs, request same IP, different encryptions etc.

I'd like to think I have been very thorough and analytical in my testing - and everything points to the HH3 - I am certain another router would solve the issue. However I'd rather not buy one (money is tight), so the Mods agreed to let me try another, but the replacement they sent (Type A) was very poor - it couldn't maintain and Xbox live connections at all and refused to let devices talk to each other on the internal network (the set up was identical to the original one) - that has been returned.

The Mods have now been good enough to put a request for a Type B in for me, but I understand they are 'out of stock', so I am waiting for one to come in. I'll keep you posted.

Hope that explains everything...

G

0 Ratings
kalishona1
Beginner
Message 29 of 276

is BTHub 3 a computer ?

Go to solution

it is rather annoying that my network sometimes conncet to BTHub3 computer in network map as NETBIOS.  sometimes i cant see the BTHub3 computer in the network.   i have taken few pictures but i dunno how to upload it in this forum so my voice would be clear.  

is BTHub 3 a computer?  if not why it is showing in my network map as a computer ?

0 Ratings