Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cavvy
Message 91 of 276

Re: BT Infinity Wireless Problems

Go to solution

BT Infinity wireless is rubbish as the equipment is not FIT FOR PURPOSE

This puts Bt in BREACH OF CONTRACT ive had the same problems since February and all bt do is fob you of to India.

Im going to try watchdog don't no were else to turn.

Very unhappy please DO NOT get your selves stuck in a BT contract. I Have never dealt with such an unprofessional company

0 Ratings
cavvy
Message 92 of 276

Go to solution

VIRGIN MEDIA is the way forward

0 Ratings
kristian99
Contributor
Message 93 of 276

Go to solution

my wi fi constantly dropped on my ipad as well they kept putting me through to india help desk, still same problem the only way I got any help was to go through to thinking of leaving bt on telephone and she put me through to english based help desk and they posted me a new home hub which has this software version  

Software version V100R001C01B031SP09_L_B  havent had one problem with it since although I do pick my own wireless channel and take off automatic smart wireless

0 Ratings
cavvy
Message 94 of 276

Go to solution

Another hour on the phone and got no where now waiting for watchdog and ofcom to get back to me.

0 Ratings
rcullen19
Message 95 of 276

Go to solution

hi um my router just disconnects like every 5 minutes and my phones sound like its full of static, its got to the point where i want to throw them and out the window...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 96 of 276

Go to solution

Please look at this page for some help

Wireless connection problems

0 Ratings
paulf214
Message 97 of 276

Go to solution

Virgin the way forward? PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL!!!

I went to Virgin 2+ years ago and had a great service. Then 4 months ago their service went to hell & gone, and since then I have been struggling to get ANY service from them, to the point that I have decided to change BACK TO BT!!!!! From my experience BT were never as bad as Virgin has become. Not by a long chalk. Both companies seem to rely on HelpCenters in India. BT is marginally NOT AS BAD as Virgin. (But perhaps we should thank God we are not talking about RBS or NatWest!!!)

So I ordered Infinity 2 from BT, and they set about transferring my phone line back to GT. After a 2 week wait for BT to do thier bit, they were supposed to change the line over on 21 June. The change was eventually completed on 23rd June, so we had 2 DAYS without a phone line. The Infinity 2 installation was supposed to happen on 21st June also. But it didn't. Instead they sent me a text saying there was a delay, and gave me two numbers to call. One valid to 30 June, the other vaild after 1st July. 

As a natural sceptic, I am phoning them in a minute to ask them to sent me contact numbers for August & September as I heard on the grapevine that Infinity 2 won't even be available where we live before October!!!!

Ooops, just tried to phone them, but they only work 8.00 am to 6 pm. Is that a good sign? Does it mean I may speak to someone who was born and still ives in the UK?????

0 Ratings
reason4
Beginner
Message 98 of 276

Go to solution

Keith,

I am with BT Infinity for a couple of months now, and I too have been experiencing multiple disconnections per day, especially if I am a couple of rooms away from the hub. This seems to happen especially with my 2 HTC devices which lose the signal frequently. The laptop is not as impacted as the other devices but it still struggles from time to time. Only when I connect to the hub via ethernet do I get proper reliable speed.

In the link you sent, I found several possible explanations for this but I don't like any of them:

1) Change the wireless connection speed from mixed b/g/n to b/g only, especially if you do not have any devices that are wireless "n" capable. Either way, if you have mixed speed devices, the home hub 3 will often disconnect, as it does not like it.

2) Disable the "smart wireless" feature and manually select a channel, to see which gives the most reliable connection.

But the third and next one is the one that shocks me the most:

3) The home hub 3 does not cope very well with multiple wireless connections, and sometimes gives random disconnections. Some people have used a separate wireless access point plugged into the home hub 3, and this seems to solve the problem.

That's just incredible! If you believe the TV adverts for Infinity, it's supposed to be able to support so many devices at the same time. Also read the marketing blurb here: http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=31942 -> The new BT Home Hub router is a stunning piece of black magic, with our strongest wireless connection to date.

Completely and utterly shocking.

Now it looks like I have to buy a separate wireless access point like the TP-LINK WA-901ND to actually get some reliable wireless in my house...

0 Ratings
Madforituk
Message 99 of 276

Go to solution

Just had infinity installed today and my Dell laptop which was fine on my old router seems to disconnect a lot like yours does. It must have disconnected about every 5 or 6 minutes this evening very frustrating, mind you I've been adding all my other wireless devices to the router so maybe it needs time to settle down (hopefully), 

Just connected with a Ethernet cable and the speeds are fantastic. 

My other wireless items seem fine though which leads to me to think that the issue is with the Hub as my laptop worked find with a Thomson Speedtouch router. 

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 100 of 276

Go to solution

A very good way to debug wireless signal problems is to install the free inSSIDer on a latop and test things out with it.  http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/?utm_expid=190328-1  (or on a Mac I understand that iStumbler is a free alternative).  It can help you choose a good channel, and also help site equipment to get the best signal.  Unfortunately, it can't fix a dodgy router.....

Several people have commented that it is worth changing the HomeHub wireless settings to a fixed channel, as the automatic channel hopping can give problems to some wireless devices.  Also, I can see here that automatic does not make a good choice of channel.

I've not had any problems with a HomeHub 3 B.  Weak signal through two solid walls into the garden is to be expected, otherwise behaving fine with a variety of devices.  As mentioned above in this thread, it seems that Bs have better wireless than As.