cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saintsman
Message 251 of 276

Re: Wireless internet keeps dropping

Go to solution
Vista does not like broadband and in particular fibre braodband. Quote from BT engineer. Try updating driver for wireless card.If this fails try adding a wireless dongle £15 from Staples. Failing that I also updated software to windows 7. Now no problem.
Saintsman
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 252 of 276

Go to solution

Hi Saintsman and welcome to the forum.

I think that the BT engineer you spoke to may have been talking a load of rubbish. I know many people who are using Vista and have never had a single problem with their broadband or fibre broadband.

This post is now over a year old with the last post over a month ago so hopefully the OP has now got the problem sorted but good suggestion about dongle and updating drivers.

0 Ratings
AMDClocker
Message 253 of 276

Go to solution

H,mne it may be old this thread but ,,,,,,  I had this all working fine using Lan and wifi at the same time to my one Laptop running win7 I upgraded my wifi drivers one evening and let windows update its security and all other updates and the problem began disconnection after 100 seconds. I reverted the driver and looked to this article to resolve the problem all to no avail so far but things got better when I changed to b / n from b/n/s as suggested above but can't seem to get around the limit other than extending it to 1000 seconds is there some way of turning checking off altogether or would I just be best reverting to an earlier state in recovery and start all over again?

0 Ratings
ALB01
Message 254 of 276

Go to solution

I have been having the same problem with the internet dropping out but the network still being connected. This has only been happening since I upgraded to Infinity 2. The engineer did not upgrade the hub, so all the pc's laptop and smart phones are using the same equipment. I have tried changing the channel and using the auto channel feature on the hub but still no joy. even tried changing the hub for a newer HH3, but still the same problem.

I have tried BT help several times, but get the same old responce, restart the hub ect. etc.  I am convinced that the HH3 is not up to the job of working with infinity 2 which may explain the release of the HH4. My upgrade was about 2 weeks before the release of HH4 and i think that BT should provide a new hub to possible cure the problem. I have got to the stage that if this isn't fixed soon then its going to be bye bye to BT. Sky are offering a similar package with more TV channels for the same money.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 255 of 276

Go to solution

Have you tried a factory reset of your homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds.

The HH3 works fine with Infinity and the HH4 does not come with out its problems, just do a search of the forum.

0 Ratings
ALB01
Message 256 of 276

Go to solution
Tried this about six times in all
0 Ratings
mtunni
Message 257 of 276

Go to solution

I am not at all technically adept and would like to try some of these suggestions, but haven't got a clue where to start. 

192.168.1.254 -> Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Wireless -> Change the channel to a different one and hit Apply..... Where do I type 192.168.1.254?

Where and how do I change my wireless from b/g/n to b/g??

I my case we have had our old white router replaced by a new Black Homehub which didn't solve the problem.  All the blue lights are on on the box and if you look it is giving off a strong signal, it just can't connect, or once connected doesn't stay connected for long.  It drops in and out.  It is a huge disruption!

Appreciate all the help!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 258 of 276

Go to solution

There are some BT help pages here, which show what you need to do.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14964/~/getting-started-with-wireless

0 Ratings
ljlee
Beginner
Message 259 of 276

BT Home hub 2 and 3 broadband and wireless keeps dropping out then coming back up instantly

Go to solution

I started having issues with my BT home hub 2 broadband keep dropping out, although the wireless light stays on this too drops out and the hub phone was also having issues. I followed all suggestions on the BT website and when this was fruitless I contacted BT with regards to the problem. The first problem arose when the BT customer support team said our home hub should have been upgraded and we were actually paying for an upgrade we had not received. To rectify this situation he said he'd send a new hub 2 and phone hub and offered a £10 reduction on our monthly bill ensuring all services would stay the same. I was very happy with this.

When the new hub arrived there was no hub phone and my old hub phone wouldn't connect. I contacted BT again and spoke to 2 more advisors and a supervisor who all apologised and said they would reinstate the phone and send a new hub phone. They sent out 2 more hub 2s but no replacement hub phone which is what I wanted! I contacted BT again only to be told this time that the person who changed the contract had actually removed the phone and they were now unable to reinstate it as this service was no longer offered. I was very angry and registered a formal complaint that still has not been delt with.

Alongside this the broadband continued to drop out! To cut a long story short 10 weeks later we had received and tried 3 other home hubs including a hub 3, have replaced all cables and phones in the house, had 3 engineers visit all complaining about the one that came before, between them the cable into the house was rewired and a BT master socket installed and the cable from the phone line pole into the house was replaced. The home hub 3 went down while the 3rd engineer was here after he'd completed replacing the main line cable. I had told him the problems started mainly in the evening so he stayed until 17.30 and saw the problem for himself. He gave me another hub 3 in case the last one sent was faulty. At this point he did show good net speed and service and even called at 19.30 that evening to check the service was OK, at this point is was working lovely. Unfortunately it was short lived as the Internet went down 4 times between 22.20-22.39 that evening (Monday oct 14th 2012). I continued to monitor the service as he said it may take 10 days to settle. Tonight (day 4) was the worst day so far where at one point it dropped out 3 times in 12 mins.

I will continue to monitor this for another 6 days but I cannot see it getting any better. With the family being customers of BT since 1972 I have to say I am very disappointed not only with the loss of service but with the sheer lack of communication within the departments of BT and failure to fix this issue.

Q1. Has anyone else been having similar issues with broadband dropping out then coming back up instantly? If so how was it fixed? (without changing provider!) and is it a problem with BT in general?

Q2. Can anyone in BT please tell me why this is happening and get on and fix it please!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 260 of 276

Re: BT Home hub 2 and 3 broadband and wireless keeps dropping out then coming back up instantly

Go to solution

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings