cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 41 of 276

Re: HH3 with WPA2 will not connect with wireless. Frequent drop outs to wired LAN.

Go to solution

@badgeb wrote:

Hi

The above devices will connect wirelessly to my upstairs netgear wireless access point via WPA2.

I hope you have disabled the DHCP server on the Netgear access point, if it has one. And assigned it a static address outside of the home hubs DHCP range? Having two DHCP servers would really cause problems.

Also disable the HH3 smart wireless, and manually set it to a wireless channel which is at least four channels away from the one that the Netgear is working on.

I think also, that the Netgear uses a different subnet to what the home hub uses.

0 Ratings
badgeb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 42 of 276

Re: HH3 with WPA2 will not connect with wireless. Frequent drop outs to wired LAN.

Go to solution

John

As I said at the start it works with WEP. Logically this should rule out DHCP and carrier issues.

However just to be sure

- there is no 2nd DHCP

- problem persists with other WAP powered down.

regards

BB

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 43 of 276

Go to solution

Sounds like you would be better using a better modem/router than the free one provided by BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 44 of 276

Go to solution

My HH3 type A set to WPA2 only works fine with the following:

W7 laptop

Vista Laptop

Multiple android phones

Wii

'Smart' (is it?) WiFi OFF

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
badgeb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 45 of 276

Go to solution

Yes

I am  starting to come to that conclusion, but:

- I want to check that the problem is not solvable by a firmware update

- If there are issued with my line and DSL then fittting say a Draytek would surely make it harder to get BT  to resolve the line issues ?

- and I dont think that BT Home Hubs are given "free". I pay BT a lot of money every month for a very limited and fragile broadband service, with no prospect of getting fibre into our rural exchange!

BB

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 46 of 276

Go to solution
As i previously posted there are no current firmware updates and as and when there are they are downloaded to the hub automatically there is no way to force an update
as to using any other router it makes no difference to BT that choice is yours they even give the log in details to use other routers in the booklet provide with the home hub
0 Ratings
Message 47 of 276

Re: Wireless internet keeps dropping

Go to solution

Thanks for the suggestions - changing channels hasn't helped, I'll try john's suggestion now.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 48 of 276

Re: Wireless internet keeps dropping

Go to solution

Try my suggestions here Wireless Help

0 Ratings
henryJSB
Message 49 of 276

Wireless connectivity problems with BT Infinity

Go to solution

Hi all, recently just had BT Infinity installed and it has been great up until the point my ethernet cable broke. Since I haven't been able to have a wired connection and have been forced to use wireless it has been awful. Sometimes it connects on a low signal strength for a short while but consistently drops out. Just recently (the last two couple of days) however I've barely been able to use the internet connection at all. I'm currently posting using a t-mobile broadband dongle as my laptop won't connect at all.

Before I go on I must explain I am not in the least bit tech orientated so I don't really know what I'm doing or talking about. So if anyone gives me any help they must explain the basics! I will tell you what I know and what I've done.

I remember the engineer who came out to install BT Infinity said something about a noise margin. She asked me if I used wired or wireless (at the time it was wired) and she said with my noise margin I might have issues on wireless (I'm paraphrasing as it was a small while ago now)  but as long as I was using wired I would be okay. So I'm thinking my connectivity issues on wireless are something to do with this noise margin however I can't be sure.

I have reset the router a number of times, and master reset everything else. I've rang BT tech support 4 times in the last two days and each time I've mentioned the noise margin but they have completely ignored me. All they keep doing is refreshing the line which connects me to the internet for about 5 minutes until it disconnects again. Eventually they told me to fix the problem I have to buy an ethernet cable so they can address the issue, which seems slightly unfair to me as I'm paying for a wireless router not just a wired connection!

At the moment an ethernet cable isn't really an option so any help to get me up and running on wireless would be hugely welcomed. If you've managed to read my whole post thank you! and thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

EDIT: I should add, connection drops frequently on a variety of equipment including my laptop, blackberry device and Xbox 360.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 50 of 276

Re: Wireless connectivity problems with BT Infinity

Go to solution

See my wireless notes here, they may help Wireless Help