cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
henryJSB
Message 51 of 276

Re: Wireless connectivity problems with BT Infinity

Go to solution
thank you keith i appreciate it. i would need some further help on how to do some of those things though.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 52 of 276

Re: Wireless connectivity problems with BT Infinity

Go to solution

Some of these things like changing the wireless channel, are on the BT help pages.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14094/kw/change%20wireless%20channel/c/346,407,410

Changing wireless from "n" to "g"

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13768/c/346,407,410

I have added these links to my website, plus the one that describes how to change the encryption.

If you need any more help, please let me know.

0 Ratings
curlew
Aspiring Contributor
Message 53 of 276

Hub connects to laptop but no internet

Go to solution

Hi to all -- Just signed up here today.

I have a problem. I just got the BT Home Hub 3 yesterday, and spent the day setting it up (in accordance with instructions). I have two desktops connected by ethernet cable, and a laptop I want to connect via wireless. Previously I've just used ethernet.

The desktops connect via ethernet to the internet without problems. The laptop, however, won't connect to the web via wireless.

It will connect to the web with an ethernet cable.

It will connect to the hub, but not to the internet (or the two desktops via the network).

If I turn off all WPA security settings in the hub, it will connect to the internet (but not to the desktops). Restoring security blocks internet access once more.

There's an interestng diagnostic flowchart at this site:-

http://www.ifitjams.com/connect.htm

..that suggests that it's a password/verification issue, but I can't work out how to investigate this further. I've run all the diagnostics that the computer itself has (the laptop runs Vista) without success.

Posts on other forums have suggested that in the entry (hub manager, connection info):-

Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password: Not configured

..that the 'Not configured' entry for Password should be changed to anything but 'not configured', but I can't see how to do that.

Any help or suggestions welcome. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 54 of 276

Re: Hub connects to laptop but no internet

Go to solution

I think you are using the wrong password, you should be using the wireless key on the laptop.

Here is some help http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14964/~/getting-started-with-wireless

There is nothing to change on the hub.

0 Ratings
curlew
Aspiring Contributor
Message 55 of 276

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using the wireless key, which is presumably how I can connect to the hub via WiFi (unless I'm misunderstanding something).  As I said, there's no problem getting online wirelessly as long as I disable the WAP encryptation.  I've explored all avenues that I can find, including the link you gave, and I'm reasonably tech-savvy, but I will take another look.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 56 of 276

Go to solution
have you installed the BT disc by chance if so it is suggested by many her that you uninstall it as it can cause more problems then it solves
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 57 of 276

Go to solution

did you have broadband with another provider before coming to BT?  if so have you deleted all their software and also the wifi connection before trying the bt wifi

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
curlew
Aspiring Contributor
Message 58 of 276

Go to solution

Hi -- Yes I did install the BT disk (on the main desktop), so perhaps I'll try that suggestion & remove it.  I might wiipe everything & start again actually Smiley Very Happy

In answer to imjolly, we've had BT Broadband for a couple of years so there isn't any other software to get rid of. There was an ethernet-only modem previously connected, but that was properly uninstalled, along with its associated software.

The only problem here seems to be that the WPA is locking the laptop out of the web for some unexplained reason.  Everything else works fine.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 59 of 276

Go to solution

then I agree with john46 - remove the bt programs in remove programs as they are known to cause problems with your wifi - just let windows manage your wifi

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 60 of 276

Go to solution

See if anything here helps, especially the WPA/WPA2 problem, which causes many problems.

Go to  Wireless Help