Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fuerte
Contributor
Message 1 of 30

Wireless keeps dropping when transferring files

Hi all,

Everytime i try to transfer files from my laptop (wireless) to my NAS (WD MyBook) or other pc (both wired) the wireless on my homehub 2 keeps dropping, resulting in me having to restart the hub.

It seems fine on small files but with files like 300 mb or above it just drops.

All wired connections still work fine and i'm able to transfer files and browse the internet fine with those but on anything wireless (2 laptops and mobile phone) it just refuses to reconnect again until i reset the hub.

I've tried this on 2 seperate homehub 2's, same result.

I've also tried changing the wireless from b/g/n to just b/g as reccomended elsewhere, no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
Fuerte
Contributor
Message 2 of 30

Re: Wireless keeps dropping when transferring files

A bit more information.

All wireless connections are using WPA & WPA2

Wireless laptops are both running Vista.

Wired desktop is using XP Pro.

NAS Drive is a WD MyBook World Edition 1TB.
0 Ratings
PheeragHfre
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 30

This might be the reason, the homehub doesn't particularly like to many fragmented packets.

BT Home Hub 2.0 crashes using Ethernet

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
0 Ratings
Fuerte
Contributor
Message 4 of 30

Thank you for that but i should have mentioned thats something i've already tried.

I changed the MTU from 1500 to 1430, then to 1300.

Still no luck.
0 Ratings
Fuerte
Contributor
Message 5 of 30

Also, transferring files using ethernet works fine, no issues at all, it only happens with wireless transfers.
0 Ratings
PheeragHfre
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 30

Have you tried checking for an updated Wifi Driver on the Wifi chipset or motherboard Website?

For some reason Vista seems to have a reputation for poor compatibility, (Wifi to NAS) when using the copy command over a network share, resulting in similar problems to yours.

Not a complete solution but have you tried transferring those files using the FTP protocol?

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
0 Ratings
HadleyHope
Message 7 of 30

I get the same problem, I have tried disabling the "n" part and also set the channel to a manual one so there is no interference.

This happens for all devices on the network, a Mac and PC Laptop. 

It is for transferring large files, I have a WD MyBook World Edition that I use as a backup target, so both the iMac and the Laptop use it as a backup destination (not at the same time!).

It is getting a real pain, especially trying to do a full backup.  Will get a couple of GB transferred then the connection will drop, will reset the hub and then usually the connection will drop again within 10 minutes a couple of times before it settles down and does another couple of GB before dropping again.

Any solutions, should I try and get the hub swapped out?

0 Ratings
sabbietage
Message 8 of 30

I have the exact same problem posting here in hope a solution is found 

I am  using vista 32bit on one laptop and win 7 64bit on another .. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
java_chump
Beginner
Message 9 of 30

I have excatly the same issue.

Please see my ticket details (which has promptly been closed without consultation as interference) below. Currently on hold waiting for 20 minutes and counting to get them to re-open it as no such link to do so was provided in their email response.

========= REF: 100922-003860 ===========

Problem Summary: BT HomeHub Wireless Networking drops all wireless connections and refuses all wireless networking requests until a hard reset when large file transfers (> 500MB) are conducted over wireless network.

Problem Detailed Description: When attempting to download/transfer large files over the wireless network of the BT HomeHub router the router will drop all wireless connections. Any attempts by those devices (laptop. PS3, iPhone4) to reconnect to the wireless router fail.

All hard wired (Ethernet) connections continue to function without issue, including access to Internet. When accessing the HomeHub directly over a hard wired ethernet connection i.e. (http://bthomehub.home/) it does not report any problems. All four lights remain blue on the router including the wireless light!

A soft restart of the router using the administration page does not resolve the issue. The router must be reset using the restart button on the bottom right hand corner of the Home Hub for wireless networking/internet access to be restored!

Only once a hard restart has been performed are wireless based devices able to reconnect to the network.

This problem occurs irrespective of the wireless channel selected (multiple channels have been tested)

The problem only occurs when downloading or transferring large files over the wireless network. The same files can be transferred fine using the physical network.

The MTU on the network interfaces connected to the wireless network which are downloading the files is 1300.

The Wireless connection works most of time until it must transfer a large volume of data (typically a Linux Distro, a Virtual Machine image, Software Installation Media, a Movie or TV Series).

========= END ===========

java_chump
Beginner
Message 10 of 30

When I eventually got through (approx 30 minutes) to someone on the phone in technical support I was told quite rightly that this was clearly not interference.  Initially the lady on the phone was at a loss to explain the behaviour, however after speaking with her supervisor she requested I disable the hub's firewall and retest. I explained that I was not about to just disable the firewall on the router.  It was explained to me that the firewall is not really required.  I then explained that if I asked BT to disable one of their production firewall's to resolve a file transfer issue I would be marched off-site!

Despite my protestations that disabling the firewall is not an acceptable resolution, in the interest of narrowing down the problem, I did agree to disable the firewall and retest the following day.  I requested a call back to update BT with my findings.

Using a wireless connection I was able to download approx 5.5 GB of data continously over a couple of hours without any issues while the firewall was disabled.  I did not suffer the connection problem all day whilst working against the wireless connection (which included VM image download, webex conference, MS Outlook mail exchanges, Internet browsing)

Following this I re-enabled the firewall on the hub and reported these findings when BT called me back as agreed.

The Hub specification is: HomeHub 2.0 (Type A - Firmware Version 8.1.H.J)

Some points for BT's consideration:

• Firstly one should not have to disable the firewall in order to perform large file downloads or transfers wirelessly that work perfectly over a physical (wired) connection.  At present the hub is not fit for purpose.
  • Secondly customers should not have to perform testing of a product at their expense/time.  This is why technical organisations have their own labs/IT support/Engineering departments.  This issue should be fairly easy to replicate.

I am currently awaiting a response from BT in regard to this matter (Ref ID: VOL011-39230640355)

At a minmum I would expect a firmware update to resolve the issue.  It would be interesting to hear if any of the Type B hubs exhibt the same problem.

Kind regards

Kevin

0 Ratings