cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Wireless not working

I have a friend who has got a BT Home Hub, with two Vista laptops, one of which can connect wirelessly and one that can't.  We had a powercut last week which is when it started. 

The laptop doesn't even recognise wireless, but it does connect via Ethernet.

The wireless switch is on (it's a Sony VAIO) but the wireless light (on the VAIO) isn't.

All the lights are on on the router.

I uninstalled the Atheros wireless card, and then rebooted; it loaded the drivers, but still no connection.

She has also tried powering down the device (unplugging it) for 30 seconds.

Because I uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless card, I shouldn't have to put the wireless settings in again, should I?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Wireless not working

is the driver for your wifi card up to date o probably check manufacturers website

you can try downloading inssider2 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. If you then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Thanks I will do that.

Is it also possible that I may have to set wireless up again as the powercut might have damaged something?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

powercut should not have damaged laptop and if another laptop is connecting ok that suggests router is ok

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

I cant use INSSider can I, as it won't even recognise a wireless connection?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

then use it on the laptop that does connect - information is the same

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 14

@tommy2k10 wrote:

I have a friend who has got a BT Home Hub, with two Vista laptops, one of which can connect wirelessly and one that can't.  We had a powercut last week which is when it started. 

The laptop doesn't even recognise wireless, but it does connect via Ethernet.

The wireless switch is on (it's a Sony VAIO) but the wireless light (on the VAIO) isn't.

All the lights are on on the router.

I uninstalled the Atheros wireless card, and then rebooted; it loaded the drivers, but still no connection.

She has also tried powering down the device (unplugging it) for 30 seconds.

Because I uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless card, I shouldn't have to put the wireless settings in again, should I?

Read all of this - http://www.wirelessforums.org/network-troubleshooting/sony-vaio-laptop-not-finding-any-wireless-netw...

It may help.....

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

Thankyou.

The other laptop doesn't pick up wireless now!

Should I set it up from sratch?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

hi yes that would be worth trying
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Thankyou, will do. 

That won't work either, she is going to ring BT and get a new router, as I believe the wireless part has gone.

0 Ratings