cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
soapy
Expert
Message 11 of 16

Re: Wireless ok but no ethernet - going insane!!

if you have never been able to use the ethernet it is possible the ethernet port itself is faulty on the pc

0 Ratings
Kaira_95
Beginner
Message 12 of 16

The ethernet has always worked fine with my parents' hub. However it never did with the BT hub, before and after the reinstall. I did the reinstall thinking the internet was impossibly slow because of the PC being infected, but no.

I tried uninstalling the driver, computer reboot and driver reinstall - nothing changed

No, I don't have anything else connected to the hub

I'll take back this laptop to my parents' in a couple of weeks time and see if it works on their hub. If it works that will mean either the hub has a problem, or it and my network card are incompatible (that would seem a bit weird but...)

0 Ratings
Kaira_95
Beginner
Message 13 of 16

And yes the internet works after reinstall, but again only with the wireless and in Windows. Linux has no internet whatsoever

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 16

As previously said, you will need to find the Linux drivers for the network card before it will work with Linux.

If the laptop worked OK on other networks it would tend to point to a faulty homehub or Ethernet cable rather than a fault with the laptop. Do you have access to an other Ethernet enabled device, such as a friends laptop or a gaming console that you could connect up to confirm if it is faulty or not.

0 Ratings
Kaira_95
Beginner
Message 15 of 16

Ok

I'll try someone else's laptop when possible and will keep you posted 🙂 Failing that, I'll get one of those adapters mentioned above.

Don't know about the cable, when you plug it in the PC the socket's little lights turn on. Dunno if that means anything though.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 16

the lights should glow when connected and akso flicker as data is transferred
0 Ratings