Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PamP
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Wiring a Master Socket Face Plate

Go to solution

I have a master socket in the hallway and an extension in the bedroom.

After issues with broadband keep dropping out, the face plate has been removed and the broadband router and phone plugged into the test socket (using a filter).  The broadband and phone work fine.  

Assuming that the face plate has therefore developed a fault, I thought it would be a 2 minute job to simply buy a new one and replace it.  However, the old one I took off (part No. 1036885) had 6 wires all connected to it, but the replacement face plate (also parrt No. 1036885) only has connectors for 3 wires, and I am finding the instructions a little confusing.

The colouring of the 6 wires is as follows and if I follow the instructions, this is what I have to do;

1) White with blue ring - connect to no 5

2) White with orange ring - do not connect

3) White with green ring ??

4) Blue with white ring - connect to no 2

5) Orange with white ring - connect to no 3

6) Green with white ring ??

So what do I do with 3 and 6 listed above?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: Wiring a Master Socket Face Plate

Go to solution
Nothing at all. They are left disconnected. Only the blue pair need be connected to 2 and 5 anyway. Have you considdered that it may be your extension wiring causing the fault? And not the faceplate.
PamP
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution
Many thanks for the speedy response, hadn't considered the extension wiring as being a culprit, if changing the face plate presents with the same problem then I will probably have to call an engineer out to check it all over, thanks for the advice.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution
You are responsible for any extensions calling out Openreach will get a charge made typically 129.99
0 Ratings
astar27
Expert
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

@PamP wrote:
Many thanks for the speedy response, hadn't considered the extension wiring as being a culprit, if changing the face plate presents with the same problem then I will probably have to call an engineer out to check it all over, thanks for the advice.

You could always buy an Openreach VDSL faceplate off EEEEEEBAAAAAAAY (can't refer directly due to forum rules), which would aniliate any interference from your extension.  But best way is always just to disconnect the extension completlety.

Also John, have you got a MK3 faceplate?

0 Ratings
PamP
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution
The router is normally plugged into the extension socket in the bedroom as I don't like all the wires from the hallway where the master socket is into the living room and there is no where in the hall to put the router.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution
already have a Mk3 thanks
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution
@astar27

I only have the mk2 do you think worth the change to mk3.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
astar27
Expert
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Mk0, 1 & 2 there is negligible difference, but Mk3 is a set replacement for RF3, in fact if we fit a Mk3 now there is no need for an RF3 filter. But previous ones it was advised to fit an RF3 as well.

0 Ratings
peterhood
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Can I jump in here with a similar problem please. My BT Master Socket, (non NTE5), has become disconnected. The 4 wires coming in to the property are Brown, Black, Orange & Green. All solid colours.

Can someone please tell me which colour I attach to which of the terminals numbered 1 - 6. Thank you.

0 Ratings